Hyundai Venue Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told by the sales person to follow the Severe Maintenance Schedule (5K mi) for our Venue SE.

He stated that, it's basically paying for every other oil change since the 3 year free maintenance only cover the normal maintenance schedule (7.5K mi).

Anyone else here doing this schedule? Thoughts?

Registered
2021 Hyundai Venue Preferred
Sounds like a money maker move for the dealership. We don't get the complimentary maintenance here in Canada but I follow the regular maintenance schedule. If your driving doesn't fit the severe schedule, I can't think of any reason why you would follow it. Especially since we are using high quality synthetic oil. However, since I don't put on a lot of miles I end up changing oil every 6 months t meet the Hyundai maintenance requirement. I really think that could be pushed out to a year because the oil is still clear.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pretty much my thought as well.

I like doing my own oil changes anyway, so I鈥檒l probably end up doing it myself. Especially if they鈥檙e charging $60-$80 for an oil change.

Im going to order the Fumoto valve and install that for quicker oil changes as well.

Registered
I posted before that I've done my own oil changes for more then 50 years and mainly they've been done before the recommended mileage limit and were done mainly by the number of months between oil changes and especially with my vehicles that never saw winter driving...my 99 Camaro SS gets it's oil changed before the winter storage and has always had full synthetic oil and even during the winter months because the car is off the ground on jack stands I run it for at least 5 or more kilometers once a week so that everything except the front wheels has moved under power and by doing oil changes myself I know exactly which oil was used and good filters were also used and no mechanic cover was put over the fenders to put rub marks on the paint...I know that Hyundai will use their products but I live a little more then 30 miles from the dealership and like I say, I change my oil by time rather then mileage because I don't put on a lot of mileage.

Registered
I'd follow the severe duty schedule unless like 75% or more of your driving is all highway driving. Most of us drive "severe duty" -- stop n go, around town, shorter trips, etc..

If you want to keep it a long time, I'd just pony up the extra for the in-between oil changes and get the free ones at the dealer also. That's what I do. If I had time, I'd change it myself, but I just let the dealer do it. I think it's only like $50, and they wash it and vacuum it out, so that saves me $15 there.

Oil does 3 things -- lubrication, cleaning, and cooling. Pretty cheap insurance.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd follow the severe duty schedule unless like 75% or more of your driving is all highway driving. Most of us drive "severe duty" -- stop n go, around town, shorter trips, etc..

If you want to keep it a long time, I'd just pony up the extra for the in-between oil changes and get the free ones at the dealer also. That's what I do. If I had time, I'd change it myself, but I just let the dealer do it. I think it's only like $50, and they wash it and vacuum it out, so that saves me $15 there.

Oil does 3 things -- lubrication, cleaning, and cooling. Pretty cheap insurance.
I agree. Most of my oil changes that I do follow the severe schedule.

I'd probably do it and take it to the dealer if they can do the full synthetic for $50...my only issue is they're quoting around $60 for conventional and approx $80 for full synthetic. I'll have to shop around other dealers in the area and see what they charge.

Registered
we don't have the free oil change plan in Canada unless individual dealerships do it and I don't miss the extra paying gimmicks like the charge to add windshield fluid and it's time for new air and passenger air filters and we notice you should get new brakes at the next oil change etc and tire rotation which most garages use the dreaded air gun set at who knows what lbs.

I know we can say no thanks but I'm sure it's routine at dealerships...I've done almost all work on my vehicles like brakes and exhausts and air filters and wiper blades, tire rotations and used torque wrenches on most of the things I've done, and other things like anti-freeze and plugs just to name a few, and as an example on my 99 Camaro SS I've done exhaust modes, replaced a bad steering pump which is no easy job and time consuming, added strut tower brace and added sub-frame connectors and many other things during warranty and out of warranty, and other time consuming jobs like spark plugs, which on some vehicles have at least one plug that's hard to get out and install a new one, which I know there's been mechanics that never changed that one and just left it...the last time I had my SS taken to a garage was to replace a hydraulic clutch cylinder which I couldn't do myself because you need a lift because when the external hydraulic cylinder is replaced, they also do the one at the clutch area and it requires pulling the transmission out to get at that clutch cylinder.

I know my Venue isn't like a Camaro SS, and it's my daily driver and it's still under warranty, and I may have warranty issues by doing my own oil changes, but it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks...I always had a very good relationship with the dealerships where I've bought my vehicles, and I live in a small area where we almost know everyone, and because of this, I think the relationship with customers are closer here then large cities...and so far, the only time I needed recent warranty work, was only minor, like my radio/cd player needed to be replaced and a clocking spring in a steering wheel was broke...and because I buy the service manuals for my vehicles which are the type the mechanics will use, I'm able to diagnose and sometimes able to prevent problems...this is why I do many things myself and I don't tell people to do what I do...as well the way our vehicles are getting it gets harder for us backyard mechanics to do things, other then things like oil changes. :)

Registered
I was told by the sales person to follow the Severe Maintenance Schedule (5K mi) for our Venue SE.

He stated that, it's basically paying for every other oil change since the 3 year free maintenance only cover the normal maintenance schedule (7.5K mi).

Anyone else here doing this schedule? Thoughts?
First of all, I LOOOOOVE your user name!

I bought my Venue in November 2019, before the "free maintenance" deal began (but also before they jacked up the price several hundred bucks). Since I only put on about 3000 miles in a year, I get an oil change once per year. That's what I did with my previous car (Scion xA) for fifteen years, and it worked out just fine.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
First of all, I LOOOOOVE your user name!

I bought my Venue in November 2019, before the "free maintenance" deal began (but also before they jacked up the price several hundred bucks). Since I only put on about 3000 miles in a year, I get an oil change once per year. That's what I did with my previous car (Scion xA) for fifteen years, and it worked out just fine.
Thanks! :p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts