Hyundai Venue Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2020 SE, 6 Speed Manual
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
NOTICE: I ended up with two of this same part, so I'm selling the extra one here: Front interior light (map lamp)

(Also called a map lamp, courtesy light, or overhead console)

I just finished adding a front interior light to my Venue SE. The actual installation wasn't too difficult, but figuring out the correct part and actually obtaining it was somewhat tricky.
Here's my story from start to finish, and hopefully it saves other people some time.

How many different configurations are there?
It's no secret that the Venue is an inexpensive car, so Hyundai obviously looked for ways to cut costs. So it's unsurprising that my Venue SE did not have an interior light in the front between the sun visors. I had only the center-mounted light, and a recessed blank spot up front like this:
Automotive side-view mirror Mirror Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

But by reading through forums and reviews I eventually learned that the Venue has (at least) 4 different map lamp configurations, depending on the options.

1. With sunroof, With Bluelink:
    Vehicle Vehicle door Steering part Personal luxury car Motor vehicle

2. With sunroof, Without Bluelink:
    Vehicle Car Automotive mirror Personal luxury car Automotive design

3. Without sunroof, With Bluelink:
    Vehicle Steering part Personal luxury car Car Automotive design

4. Without sunroof, Without Bluelink:
    Vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Personal luxury car Vehicle door

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 SE, 6 Speed Manual
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Which part number?

The lamp in picture number 4 is the one that needed for my SE, but finding the correct part number is sometimes tricky with Hyundai. Their parts diagrams and descriptions are often identical, even for parts that seem like they should be different.

For example, if you look at the diagram here: Room Lamp - 2020 Hyundai Venue
the part in question is the one in the center (92800Z).
Font Rectangle Fashion accessory Auto part Art

But when you look that up in the price list, you find two part numbers....both of which say they are for a car with the sunroof and MTS (Bluelink) options. Oh, and the pictures here aren't the same as in the diagram.
Font Rectangle Parallel Number Circle

Eventually I happened upon a website from a salvage yard in Australia that had the light I was looking for, along with the part number I was looking for:
92800-K2030

I searched and found it for sale at a whole bunch of Hyundai dealer websites. In mid-August I placed an order at one, and a week later they sent me....The center interior lamp that I already had. Apparently if you put in your VIN when ordering, the dealership will take it upon themselves to check to see if your car originally came with that part. And if it didn't, they'll change your order to the one they think it should be. (Well, at least this dealership did).

Over the next few months I placed several orders for this part at multiple dealerships. Every one of them would cancel my order, saying the part wasn't available. Sometimes it was canceled within a few hours, sometimes up to a month later. I'm not sure if this was due to the general problems with obtaining parts recently, or if maybe I had stumbled upon some Australia-only part number that was difficult to get in the states. In any case, around the beginning of November I bit the bullet and ordered the part from the Australian salvage yard, paying almost as much in shipping as the part itself.

And of course as chance would have it, two weeks later one of the dealerships that I had placed an order with actually came through with the part.

Rectangle Font Material property Wood Slope
Rectangle Gadget Font Wood Hardwood

·
Registered
2020 SE, 6 Speed Manual
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wiring:

When I had taken my headliner out before, I had already run some wires from the center lamp to the front to make this future job easier. There are 3 wires to the center lamp: Power, Ground, and a switched wire that turns the light on or off with the door switch. The switched wire works in reverse of what I expected though: I thought it would switch to +12v when the door opens, becoming a temporary power wire. But testing w/ a multimeter showed that it was +12v with door closed, and opening the door made this wire become a temporary ground. This also corresponds to what the Venue electrical diagram shows:

Rectangle Slope Schematic Font Parallel

The new light for the front has four pins on it. Three of them work the same as how I just described the center light (Power, Ground, and Door Switch).
I believe (based on the electrical diagram and my testing w/ a multimeter) the fourth wire is intended to serve as a switched ground for the center lamp. Also, in the diagram it seems like the center light is supposed to only have an on/off switch when the front light is present, not on/off/door. This configuration is shown in this YouTube video:

But I have heard reports that there are people who have both front and center lights with on/off/door switches, and they work independently. There just seems to be so much confusion over all these different parts and configurations, and the info that comes straight from Hyundai doesn't clear any of it up.

Installation

I decided to install my lamp independently of the center lamp, which meant that the 4th pin would be unused. Since I was running these wires myself, I didn't have the proper connector, so I snipped off some of the plastic around the connector pins and soldered wires directly to them. I added some heat shrink tubing to them so they wouldn't wiggle around and cause a short (just to be safe).

Wood Electrical wiring Gas Cloud Table

Left to right: Ground, Door Switched, Unused, +12v Power.

Cutting through the headliner was easy because there's already an outline of where the lamp is supposed to be. Just take your time, and remember that you shouldn't be cutting all the way to the edges of the outline. The outer grey shell of the map lamp rests in this imprint, but you only need to cut a hole big enough for the inner black part of the lamp to fit into.
Bumper Automotive tire Gadget Automotive exterior Office equipment

I cut a little at a time until I was sure I had it just right. The last thing you want to do is cut too much and then have a light that rattles around because it's loose, or even worse, have to buy a whole new headliner.

Finally: Behind the outline that I cut out, there was a block of foam that prevented the headliner from being pushed up against the roof.
Wood Tree Road surface Rectangle Grey

The lamp I installed took up some of this space, but it was still kind of wobbly. I had to put in a new piece of foam from a craft store just behind the light (and in front of the roof mounted microphone) to stabilize things. It's now very firm and secure.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Wow! Nice job, and VERY nice and clear write-up.

You are definitely in uncharted territory. I asked the service manager at my dealership about doing this exact thing, and he said he had no idea how it could be accomplished and did not recommend it!

·
Registered
2020 SE, 6 Speed Manual
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Wow! Nice job, and VERY nice and clear write-up.

You are definitely in uncharted territory. I asked the service manager at my dealership about doing this exact thing, and he said he had no idea how it could be accomplished and did not recommend it!
Hey thanks. As I did the write up I kinda felt like it was rambling too long, but then again the whole ordeal trying to get the part was too.

I may be in "uncharted territory", but this was really not a big deal. Just a simple little light. It's not like it puts out enough amperage to cause a spark... The worst that can happen is you may blow a fuse.

I'm not surprised that the dealer didn't recommend it though. The dealership that sent me the wrong part that I mentioned in my previous post.... When I called them to about my incorrect order the parts guy got super defensive, asking me how he's supposed to know that I'm trying to put different parts on my car? (Umm, who cares, just send me what I ordered).

Anyways, I started getting a bit angry for them changing my order and making it seem like it wasn't their fault, and he tells me that the part I ordered won't even work because I don't have the correct wiring (oh like it's so difficult to run wires through a headliner), and because "Hyundai doesn't allow their cars to be modified".

Yes, he actually said that to me.
So I guess the whole DIY and Modifications of this site should be shut down, because Hyundai doesn't allow modifications our cars. 🤦

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wow, your very handy. I would like to attempt but small fear of cutting up the fabric terribly or possibly setting up bad the wiring. I'm definitely gonna save a little for this and that arm rest piece for my SE.

·
Registered
2020 SE, 6 Speed Manual
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, your very handy. I would like to attempt but small fear of cutting up the fabric terribly or possibly setting up bad the wiring. I'm definitely gonna save a little for this and that arm rest piece for my SE.
LOL you guys are giving me too much credit here. All I did was splice into 3 wires and extend them a few feet from the center-mounted light to the front. Plus I did this while I had the headliner out (I was doing some soundproofing), so it's not like I even had to fish them through the ceiling.

There are all kinds of different styles of wire taps that just snap on and allow you to run a new lead from an existing wire. Here's one example: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N7S3DL/

And in case anyone needs a visual of what's behind the headliner, here's a picture of mine when I had it out (but before I added the new wires).
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system

As for cutting the headliner....I used an X-acto knife. It's not hard to do, but it's just something you need to be careful about so you don't cut too much. That's why I stressed it in my write-up. It's always better to have to cut multiple times than to cut once and then find out it was too much.

·
Super Moderator
Dark Nights: Death Metal
347 Posts
LOL you guys are giving me too much credit here. All I did was splice into 3 wires and extend them a few feet from the center-mounted light to the front. Plus I did this while I had the headliner out (I was doing some soundproofing), so it's not like I even had to fish them through the ceiling.

There are all kinds of different styles of wire taps that just snap on and allow you to run a new lead from an existing wire. Here's one example: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N7S3DL/

And in case anyone needs a visual of what's behind the headliner, here's a picture of mine when I had it out (but before I added the new wires).
View attachment 1050

As for cutting the headliner....I used an X-acto knife. It's not hard to do, but it's just something you need to be careful about so you don't cut too much. That's why I stressed it in my write-up. It's always better to have to cut multiple times than to cut once and then find out it was too much.
Very nice 😎
When you removed the headliner, were you able to tell if the driver grab handle can be installed on the ceiling?
I don't like how it is not included from factory 😭

·
Registered
2020 SE, 6 Speed Manual
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Very nice 😎
When you removed the headliner, were you able to tell if the driver grab handle can be installed on the ceiling?
I don't like how it is not included from factory 😭
I didn't take notice, sorry.

My first guess is that it could be probably be done. I looked through the shop manual and some of the parts diagrams online, and it seems like there is a bracket behind the handles that they attach to, and it seems like that front left bracket isn't included.

Brackets are numbers 7 & 8 in this diagram:
Product Font Auto part Drawing Rectangle

But when you look at the specific parts that are available, the front left is not listed:

Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Circle

So my best guess is that you'd have to
  1. Somehow find that bracket from a country with right hand drive (India or Australia), or
  2. Get one of the other brackets and see if you can jury rig it into the front left spot, or
  3. Come up with a DIY hack
I feel like 2 or 3 should be possible, because I don't think it's any more complicated than needing to provide a stable base for the handle to be screwed into. And it would all be covered by the headliner anyways, so it wouldn't matter if it didn't look pretty.

·
Super Moderator
Dark Nights: Death Metal
347 Posts
Is it necessary to remove the headliner?
I have not removed a headliner before.
I am hoping to just work on the driver side handle area only.

·
Registered
2020 SE, 6 Speed Manual
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is it necessary to remove the headliner?
I have not removed a headliner before.
I am hoping to just work on the driver side handle area only.
I don't know, it could maybe be possible to do it by just pulling the headliner down at that one spot.

But it's probably better to just remove the whole thing. You'd have to remove a bunch of the trim pieces anyway to get the headliner to drop at that spot. And once you did that you'd still have to do the job with a big headliner hanging there in the car getting in your way.

To me it seems like one of those jobs where you end up spending more time and effort trying to work without taking too much apart than it would have taken if you had just removed everything from the start. Truth be told, I'm guilty of doing this all the time.

If you had the correct bracket on hand and just needed to pop it in and screw it down, then it's probably not necessary to remove the whole thing. But if any part of the job was going to be a "customized" diy jury rigged solution, then I'd say take it out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
NOTICE: I ended up with two of this same part, so I'm selling the extra one here: Front interior light (map lamp)

I just finished adding a front interior light to my Venue SE. The actual installation wasn't too difficult, but figuring out the correct part and actually obtaining it was somewhat tricky.
Here's my story from start to finish, and hopefully it saves other people some time.

It's no secret that the Venue is an inexpensive car, so Hyundai obviously looked for ways to cut costs. So it's unsurprising that my Venue SE did not have an interior light in the front between the sun visors. I had only the center-mounted light, and a recessed blank spot up front like this:
View attachment 1028

But by reading through forums and reviews I eventually learned that the Venue has (at least) 4 different map lamp configurations, depending on the options.

View attachment 1030

View attachment 1031

View attachment 1049

View attachment 1032

View attachment 1028

View attachment 1030

View attachment 1031

View attachment 1049

View attachment 1032

·
Registered
15 Posts
This is indeed a wonderful write up but for those without the skill or the time, any good auto sound and after market shop should be able to install the light without too much trouble. They pull head liners and run wires to fuse panels with every back up camera, parking sensor, and stereo system they install. I suspect you would pay them less than the dealer, as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts