Hyundai Venue Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure what's going on, but I often need to lock the car twice - and then sometimes no number of times works. As soon as it locks, it then unlocks itself.

Steps:
1. Turn off car by pressing button
2. Exit car
3. Press lock button on driver door
4. Car locks, then unlocks by itself.
5. Press lock button on driver door - again!
6. Sometimes that's enough. Sometimes it's not.
7. On some occasions I give up, pull out the fob, and press lock on the fob. That ALWAYS works.

Any idea what would make the car unlock itself immediately after locking - and only when done via the car door - never via the fob?

· Registered
260 Posts
Not sure what's going on, but I often need to lock the car twice - and then sometimes no number of times works. As soon as it locks, it then unlocks itself.

Steps:
1. Turn off car by pressing button
2. Exit car
3. Press lock button on driver door
4. Car locks, then unlocks by itself.
5. Press lock button on driver door - again!
6. Sometimes that's enough. Sometimes it's not.
7. On some occasions I give up, pull out the fob, and press lock on the fob. That ALWAYS works.

Any idea what would make the car unlock itself immediately after locking - and only when done via the car door - never via the fob?
it does this because it is seeing the key fob in your pocket...I keep the fob in my left front pant pocket and I make sure I step away a bit from the open driver side door but can still reach the lock button on the door and then push it to lock and it locks but if I just get out of the car and stand close to the open door and push the lock button it unlocks itself again, just that little bit more that I stand away from the door and with the fob in my left pocket it's enough to have no problem...sounds crazy but it works for me. 🤷‍♂️😁

· Registered
2021 Hyundai Venue Preferred
547 Posts
I've had that happen when my wife left her purse in the hatch with her fob in it but it just would not lock.
If it's repeatable, take it back to the dealer.

· Registered
547 Posts
There are smart key antennae at the front door handles, in the rear bumper and under the center console. Any bad connection could make it work flaky.

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Well. I neglected to mention I am using a faraday pouch to protect the key fob from relay attacks. And now that I said that, I tried unlocking the door with the fob still in the pouch - and it worked! Apparently after a year or so of using the pouch, it's protective properties have worn off. Grrrrr... So, um, don't buy this one!

· Registered
260 Posts
Well. I neglected to mention I am using a faraday pouch to protect the key fob from relay attacks. And now that I said that, I tried unlocking the door with the fob still in the pouch - and it worked! Apparently after a year or so of using the pouch, it's protective properties have worn off. Grrrrr... So, um, don't buy this one!
what if any distance does the protector work...when using the protector can you stand at the car and push the unlock button on the door handle and unlock the car...maybe the protector is designed for a thief using what ever they use to access the key fob info meant to work at a distance range of more then a few feet...try what I posted about putting the key fob in your left pocket and stand back a bit but can still reach the lock button on the inside of the car door and see if the lock locks and doesn't automatically lock again...this is the way it works for me 100% of the time...I'm sure that the design of the unlocking and locking the way you are doing is designed for a certain distance and the protector is also made for a certain distance range.

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When I bought the faraday pouch it worked 100% at any distance, even right next to the door or inside the car. Checking reviews online, it looks like ALL faraday pouches wear down over time. Every single one has reviews saying it worked at first and failed months later.

· Registered
547 Posts
Very interesting, I had no idea. I thought that the fabric used to manufacture that sort of product was metal infused and would last forever. Kind of defeats the purpose to make it wear out without warning.
I found this quote in the article I linked:
"Why do Faraday bags stop working?

A high quality Faraday bag should never stop working. However, cheaper bags can wear out if opened and closed often, This is where finding a high quality bag is important."

· Registered
2022 Fiery Red Limited (U.S. Model)
31 Posts
Back to the original post:

If one of the doors is not being detected as closed, many cars will try to lock the doors, then immediately unlock because there is an error. Likely the same thing applies if it can't detect the door actually locking.

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I am using a new faraday pouch and can conclude the "pouch gone bad" was indeed the problem. The car has started prompting me with "key not in car" or somesuch, which I totally forgot it used to do when the old faraday pouch was working. So, we'll see how long this one lasts...

Yes, it's annoying to have to remove the key from the pouch for driving, but it's so easy to break into keyless cars otherwise.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts