Hyundai Venue Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I stop by the dealership today because my radio keeps freezing and turning off, they say they cant get it fix and the best they can do is give me a 2021 Kona SEL that was sitting in the show room and got some test rides (4k miles now) with no charge and they will take my Venue with the broken windshield, scratches on the back, and with 17k miles, I cant take the radio going off anymore is my only joy :)

So good deal ? I love my Venue :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
So I stop by the dealership today because my radio keeps freezing and turning off, they say they cant get it fix and the best they can do is give me a 2021 Kona SEL that was sitting in the show room and got some test rides (4k miles now) with no charge and they will take my Venue with the broken windshield, scratches on the back, and with 17k miles, I cant take the radio going off anymore is my only joy :)

So good deal ? I love my Venue :)
If it's a no strings attached (minus registration and fees), then its a solid deal for a free upgrade!

·
Registered
92 Posts
The warranty may be an issue. The 10 year/100k warranty is for the original owner only, but since this vehicle was owned by Hyundai and/or the dealership, you may count as the original owner so you would get both the base 5 year/60k bumper to bumper warranty AND the 10 year/100k powertrain warranty.

But I would definitely ask for it in writing to make sure you are getting both warranties. Also if the car is listed as a CPO vehicle then it should be able to get both warranties.

If you live in a snowy climate, and the Kona is AWD and you will get both warranties, I'd probably take advantage of it and go for it, But if it's just FWD and only the base warranty, I'd probably pass.

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Venue Elite
5 Posts
I have been driving a Kona as a work Vehicle for the past 2 years and its definitely a very solid machine, I have just changed jobs and had to acquire my own car as a result. I decided to go with a Venue over the Kona as I prefer the slightly smaller size and the boxy styling. The dealers offer sounds like a good deal on the whole, and objectively an upgrade.

Did your radio issues start after you updated the firmware?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for the response, Junstin1138 they say all warranties are there for the 10 years or so, I will double check.
Solar Cartographer yes the slow started after the update, is getting worse by the day :D
I do like the Venue because I park on the street and is very easy to find a parking space when I come home late night.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Go to a decent car audio store (or even a Best Buy, they have pretty good car audio) and get an all-new head unit. $500 will get you a fabulous one. Maybe you can even get the dealer to pay for it.

·
Super Moderator
Chicago Ralph 2020™
245 Posts
They might be pulling a typical salesman move to entice you to spend more cash.

But if they are serious on a car for car deal, go for it.
They might be getting rid of it due to the showroom history of the car and the 2022 kona redesign.

I would probably not trade my venue unless the kona has
• AWD
• 10 year warranty
• No weird car fax history

Besides the AWD and more HP, the two cars are practically the same.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would get a new head unit but im not expending money right now unless like you say to make them pay for it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I would get a new head unit but im not expending money right now unless like you say to make them pay for it.
Do stereo makers make head units to replace proprietary/stock touchscreens? I don't think they do. They are still on the DIN/double DIN I would assume -- to fill in a hole in the dash. But who knows they might make a replacement trim piece so their aftermarket one will fit. A company like Crutchfield might make a trim piece. On my previous vehicle -- 2011 Focus base sedan, I thought about putting in a new head unit with USB/AUX/navigation, but I never did.

Crutchfield did sell a trim plate so a standard double DIN stereo/head unit can replace the odd-shaped factory radio.

·
Registered
92 Posts
They might be pulling a typical salesman move to entice you to spend more cash.

But if they are serious on a car for car deal, go for it.
They might be getting rid of it due to the showroom history of the car and the 2022 kona redesign.

I would probably not trade my venue unless the kona has
• AWD
• 10 year warranty
• No weird car fax history

Besides the AWD and more HP, the two cars are practically the same.
One benefit of the Kona is that it has more cargo space. It has 19 cubic feet and 45 cubic feet with rear seats down compared to Venue's 19 cubic feet and 32 cubic feet with rear seats down. So if OP will be hauling a lot of passengers, cargo space will be the same, but if he needs total cargo area, the Kona has about 40 percent more.

But the Venue, being a hatch, can haul a lot of space. I have gotten a lot in mine. Should be sufficient for most people.

Yep, scrutinize the CarFax -- make sure it hasn't been in their garage for a lot of repairs -- like tranny, electrical, etc. It could've been a Lemon Law buyback. I have seen used cars (and CPO) cars on lots with CarFax showing they were Lemon Law buybacks, but the car's listing for full KBB retail used value.

And the sad fact is someone's mom or grandma will probably never even click on that small CarFax button on the dealer's website, and if they did and noticed the Lemon Law note they will probably just ask the salesman who will sugar coat it and say it was nothing. It's fully repaired now, and you get a CPO warranty.

Also, be careful of the bait and switch. You might get back to the finance person's desk and they will say "um, sorry we ran the numbers and we are going to need an extra $2k out of you to make this deal happen."

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Venue Preferred
46 Posts
One benefit of the Kona is that it has more cargo space. It has 19 cubic feet and 45 cubic feet with rear seats down compared to Venue's 19 cubic feet and 32 cubic feet with rear seats down. So if OP will be hauling a lot of passengers, cargo space will be the same, but if he needs total cargo area, the Kona has about 40 percent more.

But the Venue, being a hatch, can haul a lot of space. I have gotten a lot in mine. Should be sufficient for most people.

Yep, scrutinize the CarFax -- make sure it hasn't been in their garage for a lot of repairs -- like tranny, electrical, etc. It could've been a Lemon Law buyback. I have seen used cars (and CPO) cars on lots with CarFax showing they were Lemon Law buybacks, but the car's listing for full KBB retail used value.

And the sad fact is someone's mom or grandma will probably never even click on that small CarFax button on the dealer's website, and if they did and noticed the Lemon Law note they will probably just ask the salesman who will sugar coat it and say it was nothing. It's fully repaired now, and you get a CPO warranty.

Also, be careful of the bait and switch. You might get back to the finance person's desk and they will say "um, sorry we ran the numbers and we are going to need an extra $2k out of you to make this deal happen."
I got quite the shocked looks from my neighbors when I hauled a new 40 gallon water heater out of the hatch of my Venue...they couldn't believe that I got it in there...lol.
Be aware that there is a recall out there for the Kona with 2.0l engine. Might be a non issue with a long warranty but run the VIN for recalls t see if it is part of it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Had a 2018 Kona and drive a 2021 Venue now. The Kona is better, but the Venue has more headroom. If I was going to buy another vehicle I would recommend the Kona because I still get lots of static in my radio.

·
Super Moderator
Chicago Ralph 2020™
245 Posts
What the hell is wrong with y'all radios!?
Lemon Law it, and see if you can get your money back.

Then, buy a Hyundai Santa Cruz (optional) :devilish:

·
Registered
137 Posts
I was driving by my dealership yesterday and low and behold, another denim was on the lot. I had to get a look and was greeted by my bud Doug that sold me mine back in March.
Just as I suspected a bump sticker was added to the little guy bringing the denim to 24.5k. He told me Hyundai insisted that they include this price increase in order to receive more inventory…and yes he asked me if I would be interested in selling it back. I looked at him and said, “why would I sell my car that didn’t have a bump sticker, and trade it for one that did?”. Well dude didn’t have much to say after that.lol
Looks like I might have some competition here locally, so I gotta up the ante.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I was driving by my dealership yesterday and low and behold, another denim was on the lot. I had to get a look and was greeted by my bud Doug that sold me mine back in March.
Just as I suspected a bump sticker was added to the little guy bringing the denim to 24.5k. He told me Hyundai insisted that they include this price increase in order to receive more inventory…and yes he asked me if I would be interested in selling it back. I looked at him and said, “why would I sell my car that didn’t have a bump sticker, and trade it for one that did?”. Well dude didn’t have much to say after that.lol
Looks like I might have some competition here locally, so I gotta up the ante.
He's a salesman -- his first instinct is to sell, sell, sell. :) It was a 2021 Denim, so literally the same car, color, etc as yours? And he wanted you to trade yours in and pay more? lol

Yeah I had to pay full retail for mine in May when I bought it. They had to dealer trade to get me the intense blue SEL. There are only like 3 or 4 Venues left within a 100 mile radius, and they're mostly SE's. The salesman at my local Hyundai dealer said as soon as they unload them off the truck they sell within a day or 2. Their inventory is low -- like 10 new cars and all sedans except for like one Tucson.

YouTube recommended me a channel about a Chevy salesman, and he showed his complete in stock inventory of new vehicles. All they had were like 3 Equinoxes and like 1 truck that was already sold and about to be delivered. Equinox is ugly and pricey ($30k). The new Blazer/Trailblazer SUVs are much nicer and cost less or about the same depending on trim and options.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Not me. I bought the Venue because it checked all my boxes. Even for the same price, I wouldn't have taken any other model on the lot. Well, maybe a Genesis.
Yea I decided to keep my Venue, the Kona feels tight inside for me because is too low, I just don't feel it, maybe for a N series for fun lol.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts