Hyundai Venue Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Damn, I thought dual clutch transmissions were only for fast sports cars.
In case anyone is confused, a DCT (or "dual clutch transmission") is NOT a manual transmission. It is an automatic transmission with discrete gear ratios (meaning, NOT a CVT) that happens to use two clutches. One clutch is for the odd-numbered gears, and the other one is for the even-numbered gears. This lets it run through a large number of gear ratios very quickly, thus keeping the engine speed very close to the optimal zone at all times. It used to be only used in high-end cars, but is getting more popular in medium-priced vehicles.

·
Registered
2020 SE, 6 Speed Manual
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Any chance you can post a photo of the door with the panel off that shows the whole door so we can see where all the screw holes and mounts are?
I don't have a full picture, but for the rear door there's only one screw: inside the interior door handle.

On the front door there's one inside the handle, and one in the top corner of the panel:

The rest of the door panel is held on by clips that just pop off. If you feel along the bottom, there's an opening where you can insert a trim removal tool to get it started.

·
Registered
2020 SE, 6 Speed Manual
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
On the front side, does the elbow rest area detach from the main part of the door card? If it does, I have a person I know that does reupholstery work that can make it padded.
Don't quote me on this, but I think it does. I think there are a few screws and maybe some clips holding it on.

One thing I noticed when tearing everything apart is that there are some parts that are considered to be an entire unit, but are made up of multiple smaller parts.
For example, the door panel is one part, but the upper speaker grille can be detached from it. Which is why the SE has a different grille than the trims that have a separate tweeter.

Make sure you share with us if you do this mod!

·
Registered
2020 SE, 6 Speed Manual
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
New mod to report: Dead Pedal!

I've actually been working on this one off and on for a few weeks, but just got it done last night due to a combination of trial & error, and laziness.

OK, so I had gotten used to my last car having a dead pedal for my left foot. Our Venues sort of have a dead pedal, but it's just molded foam under the carpet. I originally bought a 3D printed pedal
with a velcro back on Etsy, but just placing that on top of the carpet wasn't cutting it. I wanted something that was solid, and not squishy under my foot.

Let's start with the pedal itself. I tried a few different pedals from Amazon, but the one that I ended up going with was this stick-on accent piece made for a Honda CRV.

It's just a thin piece of steel or aluminum, with some adhesive on the back. I took all that adhesive off, and sprayed it with a few coats of rust oleum black matte paint.

Inside the Venue....If you pull back the carpet and foam, you'll find there's a sort of pedal "frame" that's mounted to the floor by 3 bolts. That's what's covered by foam and carpet to create the thing your left foot sits on now. I used this as the base that I would mount my pedal to.
I drilled some holes and added threaded inserts so that I could screw the pedal into it:

(There are 6 inserts in my picture, but I only used 4. The others were there as part of the trial and error process I went through with different pedals)

Now - to give this a solid feel to it:
I had some aluminum bars from Home Depot that were leftover from the amp install documented earlier in this thread. I cut those and drilled holes so they could be screwed into the pedal base.
Then I added smaller threaded inserts to the aluminum bars so the actual pedal could screw into that:

Now that it was all lined up, I took the bars off the pedal base and installed it back into the car. Then put the foam back over the base, and screwed the bars down through the foam.
So from the bottom to top it went: Pedal->Foam->Bars.
Here's what you'd see if you pull up my carpet....Not pretty, but no one will ever see it:

Since the pedal I bought in Amazon was pretty thin metal, I figured why not reinforce it a bit?
So here are some more aluminum bars JB Welded to the underside:

All the pieces are ready, and the only thing left is to screw this pedal down. I did this after I was sure that everything was in place and lined up correctly, because I didn't want to screw through the carpet until I knew everything was exactly right.

End result:

(Yeah, I gotta vacuum this weekend 😃 )

·
Registered
2 Posts
Been lurking and posting a bit since I bought my Venue in February, and decided to share some of the mods I've done so far. I'll apologize in advance for being a bit short on pictures, but I have a bad habit of neglecting to document my work in process, because I'm usually just focused on getting the job done. That being said, I am more than happy to take additional pics if possible, or answer any questions.

First, here's where I'm coming from: I was big into VW since I was in high school. I had an 87 GTI, and then bought a new 2001 Golf 1.8 Turbo when I graduated from college. I drove it for 20 years (only ~150k miles) before I purchased the Venue.

This past winter, my wife was looking for a new car, which meant I was looking with her. Even though my 01 Golf was mechanically sound (literally everything worked), I knew it wouldn't last forever and I was concerned about being able to find a car with a manual transmission when I eventually did need one. I had already decided that another VW could be a possibility, but after their emissions cheating scandal I wouldn't be married to the brand anymore. When a 2020 Venue with ~9k miles on it showed up, I bought it.

More to come....
i wish they made the rear top spoiler , india venue have them but not in the USA.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts