Hyundai Venue Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it's bothered me ever since I got the car that for the trunk floor board is either in the high or low position, leaving tons of wasted space underneath in the spare wheel well. However, I did not want to put my emergency supplies in there touching the tire.

I bought a spare floor board to have my original one in the lowest position, where I store my battery jumper, first aid, etc. and the second floor board sits in the high position. Thus creating an enclosed storage/shelf that's versatile and clean!

OEM floorboards are kind of pricey so I found one on eBay from a crashed Venue (RIP car).

·
Registered
92 Posts
That is an awesome idea. Though I don't really care if my emergency stuff touches the spare. I need to move my emergency stuff from my old car to Venue. I have a 1995 or so Montgomery-Ward made in USA 12V air compressor, jumper cables, 25-inch breaker bar with 19mm socket to easily break the lugs. I hope it all fits around the spare but whatever doesn't I will keep the stuff in a milk crate above. I keep the trunk cover in its lowest position, but I guess I can put it in the top position so I can fit all the emergency stuff around the spare if need be. I never go too high on cargo, so having it in the top position is cool.

I also like to keep some water, energy bars, etc.. A couple of years ago, the road was closed due to a tree fall. A lady with low blood sugar needed some food. I gave her an energy bar and water.

·
Registered
238 Posts
That is a great idea! You get two nice clean compartments, and the spare tucked away out of sight.

That said, I have no problem storing all my messy crap along with the spare tire, so I keep the floor board in the high position, with my ice scraper, emergency cables and gloves and hat, etc., down under with the spare, and a nice clean compartment for groceries up top.

Alas, there is still no room for dead bodies. Need a nice Lincoln or Caddy for that.

·
Super Moderator
Chicago Ralph 2020™
245 Posts
IQ level is too high!
I'm going to copy.

What I was planning to do was modify the tonneau cover so it becomes some sort of a storage compartment so I can put stuff above, or hanging below it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
IQ level is too high!
I'm going to copy.

What I was planning to do was modify the tonneau cover so it becomes some sort of a storage compartment so I can put stuff above, or hanging below it.
I suppose you could fit a cargo net to the underside of this thing to store stuff in. 🤔

·
Registered
137 Posts
IQ level is too high!
I'm going to copy.

I suppose you could fit a cargo net to the underside of this thing to store stuff in. 🤔

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So my exact setup was, put my floorboard to low setting, flipped the carpet to rugged side up, and attached the netting. The "shelf" for the high position protrudes enough and the perfect height that my first aid kit, jumper cables, battery jumper, air compressor, etc. all fit to the side and it doesn't slide around. The netting in the bottom position is a bonus for securing down smaller items.

Top floorboard, I got a 3d printed floor mat that included the winglets. SmartLiner offered something with the winglet but was not in stock at the time. The weather mat traps dust/debris/spills so its easy to clean and won't compromise the bottom compartment!

·
Registered
2021 green apple SEL
28 Posts
I found this on Amazon and I love it. I got it because the door pockets are much smaller than they were in my kia and wanted a way to store some smaller items and I didn't want one of those trunk organizer things.

They have lots of different styles and sizes available. I like what I have now but know the longer I have it I will need to upgrade to something a little bigger. Never thought about stuff above tonneau but I took mine out so I could have more room for when I need to transport taller things or could stack things more.

Also I do store emergency supplies in my spare compartment as well. There was so much unused space and it was a great spot for it all.

XBRN Backseat Trunk Organizer for SUV & Car Hanging Organizer Foldable Cargo Storage Bag with 4 Pockets Adjustable Strap Durable Cover and Fit for Most Vehicles https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089SW14X...abc_2CAKFW43CRAQCYFJK0ET?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

1 - 9 of 9 Posts