Hyundai Venue Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on the 10th of August I did my first oil change...I have just about 2500 kilometers on my Venue and in the past I've always done early first oil changes...I guess I should have posted this on the do it yourself side but I just wanted to point out a few things...the filter came as normal with everything I needed and I do like the idea of being able to drain the oil from the filter before removing it and when I drained the oil from the pan there was no removable washer on the drain plug...I was going to put the one on to the plug that came with the filter and decided not to and the reason is that by doing so there would be a good chance of leakage because I didn't think the washer belonged on the plug and I know if a washer isn't just right it will leak and I felt that putting it on would be like having too many washers which is a bad thing and as well... many of my vehicles never had removable washers to change and thus I left well enough alone and never had a problem and as well if the washer wasn't meant to be there and tightening the plug too much to make the washer seat properly could maybe cause thread damage in the oil pan...after I did the change all was okay and no leaks.

the other things I did was to rotate the tire/wheels...the biggest reason for doing it now was two fold...because I jacked the car off the ground to do the oil change and to spray the under side of the Venue and the engine compartment with rust inhibitor...as well I sprayed inside the bottom drain holes of the doors and hinges etc. and there are convent spray holes in the hood to spray into...I used 3 different types of the Rust Check products...one was lighter and the other 2 were thicker in weight...I also sprayed where the plastic body pieces are attached to the body with the lighter weight spray because it seeps in that area better...the reason I did it myself was to only spray where I wanted it and especially to make sure there was no over spray on engine component things like computer etc. pieces.

the other reason for removing the wheels was because on my last daily driver I found that aluminum wheels will build up a type of what I call corrosion where the part of the wheel meets the wheel mounting spot where the wheel bolts on to the vehicle and the wheel sticks to this area over time if the wheels have never been removed and after un-bolting them to get the wheels off I had to use a rubber hammer on the wheels to release them...because of this I put a little grease on that area of the wheels to prevent the sticking...this time on my Venue I used a bit of wheel bearing grease on that area and since I was removing the wheels to do this I rotated them and I made sure they were torqued properly because I've found garage torquing sometimes are way off...the Venue calls for 79 to 94 foot pounds and I did mine at about 92 foot pounds.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I also did my first oil and filter change early (5K miles) and think I actually noticed an improvement (the engine sounded quieter and smoother, but it could have been my imagination). I have always done this because new engines generate more metal shavings than engines that are broken in, so a shorter oil change interval in the first months is a good idea. I opted for the synthetic blend which is what Hyundai uses normally, but will pay extra for the full synthetic on future oil changes.

I think tire rotation every 10K miles is adequate, unless you see unusual wear, which I have not seen on my tires (they are wearing slowly as far as I can see).

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I also did my first oil and filter change early (5K miles) and think I actually noticed an improvement (the engine sounded quieter and smoother, but it could have been my imagination). I have always done this because new engines generate more metal shavings than engines that are broken in, so a shorter oil change interval in the first months is a good idea. I opted for the synthetic blend which is what Hyundai uses normally, but will pay extra for the full synthetic on future oil changes.

I think tire rotation every 10K miles is adequate, unless you see unusual wear, which I have not seen on my tires (they are wearing slowly as far as I can see).
I have only used full synthetic oils for the about the last 22 years and I've even used it in my snowblowers and the last lawnmower I had, I now have a full electric [battery] lawnmower...I used the recommended full synthetic Quaker State 0w20 oil and only rotated the tires because I took the wheels off for the reasons I mentioned in my post but normally will rotate them every 2 years or sooner if I put on high mileage or things like wear.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I swear by Castrol Syntec. My father taught me not to change oil brands because the additives from one brand might react with the additives of another brand and polymerize, leading to the oil filter getting clogged. He is a chemist and this is more instinct than anything else, but it makes sense to me, at least in principle. Because the car is under Hyundai´s service program, I am forced to use the product they supply for the time being.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I'm presuming you did the oil change yourself and did your drain plug have a removable washer on it, mine didn't and did you like the feature of draining the oil from the filter before you removed it?

·
Registered
38 Posts
No, I went through the dealership. I would be reluctant to do any oil changes myself during the warranty period, especially when Hyundai has agreed to cover the cost. After the warranty period I look forward to doing the changes myself as the engine is very accessible and looks like it will be easy to service.

I have no intel on the drain plug and wasn't even aware of the feature you mention.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, I went through the dealership. I would be reluctant to do any oil changes myself during the warranty period, especially when Hyundai has agreed to cover the cost. After the warranty period I look forward to doing the changes myself as the engine is very accessible and looks like it will be easy to service.

I have no intel on the drain plug and wasn't even aware of the feature you mention.
we don't have the free oil changes here in Canada, at least by my dealership...I've always kept records of everything I do on my vehicles and haven't had a oil change by any garage in more than 50 years except when I had a 71 VW Bug as a daily driver for about 4 years because back in those days they checked the valve adjustments which had to be adjusted every so many miles and if I remember the valve covers were held on with clips to make it easier and much quicker for the mechanics to do the job.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If the motor were to seize during the warranty period couldn't Hyundai question your service interval? By using a third party you have documentation and someone who can testify on your behalf. Just my two cents on the matter.
my dealer is about 35 miles away and in the past when I needed warranty I showed my documents and had no problem [touch wood] and so far with all the vehicles I've had over the years I've never had engine problems [again touch wood]...I live in a small town so not a lot of dealers and all the vehicles I've bought were from out of town and all my vehicles warranty was up by time and not millage except for one daily driver...there's always a first time 🤞

1 - 10 of 10 Posts