Hyundai Venue Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Venue SEL (USA) - "Hydo"
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
Personally I hate any active assist type "safety" options. They're not perfect, and I feel that it makes me become a lazy driver. I rather drive actively and be engaged in controlling my vehicle
In my recent trip, I appreciate having these technologies. I’m old school, too, but what I do is manage these driver aids. I interact with the LKA. In some portions of the road where there are no lane markers, I take over like if there is no LKA. In most of my route, I always have my hands on the steering wheel while LKA is doing the steering. In sharp curves, I take over because LKA is not strong enough to turn the wheel to follow the curvature of the lane marker. To each his own preferences.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
Here's what I can report of my 2-day trip from Northern Arizona to Northern Illinois with my 2022 Venue SEL (USA) - +/- 1,800 miles. Through the hills of Northern AZ on I-17 to Flagstaff, to New Mexico, Texas, and Oklahoma on I-40, to Missouri on I-44 then to Northern Illinois on I-55. Only my wife and I with normal luggage in the Venue. We stopped for the night at the OK Welcome Center on EB I-40. My overall average MPG is 33. I calculated by dividing miles traveled by gallons at each gas stop. I turned on the AC (Auto at 72F) as we entered NM and then AC all the way to Northern IL. My first gas stop in Galup, NM, I got 36 mpg. In NM and TX, I filled her up with 88 Octane because the lowest grade is 86, which is below the recommended Octane rating on the Venue (I think). On my second gas stop East of NM on I-40, I got 38 mpg - there was a strong gusty side and back wind so there was a little push. I bypassed gassing up in TX to avoid the 38 Octane so I pushed my Venue to 302 miles to Erick, OK for my third gas stop. With full AC on, that stretch only gave me 32 mpg.

The Venue was able to handle the whipping of wind gust on the side and back through New Mexico. I was surprised that the LKA (active) was able to help me maintain the forward attitude every time the wind gust hits the side. I was impressed.

The seat was very comfortable - I did not suffer butt fatigue that I suffered with the leather seat of my former Mazda CX-5 Turbo.

Because it was windy, the wind noise level was very high. Also there was very pronounced road/tire noise - but tolerable.

The above is my honest opinion about the Venue SEL. Peace.

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Venue Preferred
297 Posts
Here's what I can report of my 2-day trip from Northern Arizona to Northern Illinois with my 2022 Venue SEL (USA) - +/- 1,800 miles. Through the hills of Northern AZ on I-17 to Flagstaff, to New Mexico, Texas, and Oklahoma on I-40, to Missouri on I-44 then to Northern Illinois on I-55. Only my wife and I with normal luggage in the Venue. We stopped for the night at the OK Welcome Center on EB I-40. My overall average MPG is 33. I calculated by dividing miles traveled by gallons at each gas stop. I turned on the AC as we entered NM and then AC all the way to Northern IL. My first gas stop in Galup, NM, I got 36 mpg. In NM and TX, I filled her up with 88 Octane because the lowest grade is 86, which is below the recommended Octane rating on the Venue (I think). On my second gas stop East of NM on I-40, I got 38 mpg - there was a strong gusty side and back wind so there was a little push. I bypassed gassing up in TX to avoid the 38 Octane so I pushed my Venue to 302 miles to Erick, OK for my third gas stop. With full AC on, that stretch only gave me 32 mpg.

The Venue was able to handle the whipping of wind gust on the side and back through New Mexico. I was surprised that the LKA (active) was able to help me maintain the forward attitude every time the wind gust hits the side. I was impressed.

The seat was very comfortable - I did not suffer butt fatigue that I suffered with the leather seat of my former Mazda CX-5 Turbo.

Because it was windy, the wind noise level was very high. Also there was very pronounced road/tire noise - but tolerable.

Did the Venue fuel economy displayed inf jive with your fillup calculations? The few random hand checks I did were very close.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Did the Venue fuel economy displayed inf jive with your fillup calculations? The few random hand checks I did were very close.
Yes, pretty close. Although in my second to the last fill up in Illinois, it displayed displayed 32 but my calculation was 35. That was the only one that really stood out.

Compared to my KIA SUV, the Venue has the most accurate mpg display. My KIA is always overstating it by 2 mpg, meaning, the actual calculation is 2 mpg less than the display. Kudos to Hyundai on this.

BTW, I named my Venue "Hydo".

·
Registered
6 Posts
Here's what I can report of my 2-day trip from Northern Arizona to Northern Illinois with my 2022 Venue SEL (USA) - +/- 1,800 miles. Through the hills of Northern AZ on I-17 to Flagstaff, to New Mexico, Texas, and Oklahoma on I-40, to Missouri on I-44 then to Northern Illinois on I-55. Only my wife and I with normal luggage in the Venue. We stopped for the night at the OK Welcome Center on EB I-40. My overall average MPG is 33. I calculated by dividing miles traveled by gallons at each gas stop. I turned on the AC (Auto at 72F) as we entered NM and then AC all the way to Northern IL. My first gas stop in Galup, NM, I got 36 mpg. In NM and TX, I filled her up with 88 Octane because the lowest grade is 86, which is below the recommended Octane rating on the Venue (I think). On my second gas stop East of NM on I-40, I got 38 mpg - there was a strong gusty side and back wind so there was a little push. I bypassed gassing up in TX to avoid the 38 Octane so I pushed my Venue to 302 miles to Erick, OK for my third gas stop. With full AC on, that stretch only gave me 32 mpg.

Thanks for taking the time to present such a comprehensive review. The only disappointing thing is the fuel economy. Living as I do in a hilly suburb with moderate traffic, i generally get 38-40 overall; if I balloon foot the mpg goes into the low 40’s.
I would think that long distance interstate driving would be better, but perhaps the Venue's somewhat boxy shape comes into play above 60.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Thanks for taking the time to present such a comprehensive review. The only disappointing thing is the fuel economy. Living as I do in a hilly suburb with moderate traffic, i generally get 38-40 overall; if I balloon foot the mpg goes into the low 40’s.
I would think that long distance interstate driving would be better, but perhaps the Venue's somewhat boxy shape comes into play above 60.
I'm back from a 3,600+/- miles round trip. My average coming back was 32 mpg because of side/head wind in NM and AZ. Yes, highway driving with the Venue will give you less mpg unless you drive less than 60 mph at which you will be mowed by semis. I drive 5 over and that is 75 mph in Illinois and Missouri, 80 in OK, NM, and AZ. Their highway speed limits are 5 minus my speed, respectively. Driving around town for errands, I get 35-37 mpg here in hilly Northern Arizona!

The Venue struggled on long uphills in I-44 in Missouri, I-40 in New Mexico, and of course I-17 in northern AZ. I will not make that trip again with the Venue!

21 - 26 of 26 Posts