Hyundai Venue Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’m still in the process of deciding on whether I want a manual or the IVT. I’m just concerned because the IVT is still so new. Not many options with manual here in Canada...not even an armrest.
What is the highest mileage here of anyone with the IVT transmission and, have you had any ‘quirks’ with it?
Thanks.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have the manual transmission SE model (USA version). No armrest or blind spot monitoring, but it has just about everything else. I don't know what the Canadian options lists look like.

I test-drove both transmissions, and I can tell you that I VASTLY prefer the manual. Of course, I'm biased; I've never owned a car with an automatic transmission. But the manual shifting Venue is ten times as peppy as the CVT (I think that's what they call the IVT here). It was still a nice car, but I'm not sure I would have bought it if that were the only option. Just too underpowered. But when you can keep it in second gear for as long as you need it to be, even the tiniest engine will drive like a race car.

Just one guy's opinion!!

PS - my best mileage was 42 mpg on the highway. Most of my driving is in the city, though, and I average around 28 mpg.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the manual transmission SE model (USA version). No armrest or blind spot monitoring, but it has just about everything else. I don't know what the Canadian options lists look like.

I test-drove both transmissions, and I can tell you that I VASTLY prefer the manual. Of course, I'm biased; I've never owned a car with an automatic transmission. But the manual shifting Venue is ten times as peppy as the CVT (I think that's what they call the IVT here). It was still a nice car, but I'm not sure I would have bought it if that were the only option. Just too underpowered. But when you can keep it in second gear for as long as you need it to be, even the tiniest engine will drive like a race car.

Just one guy's opinion!!

PS - my best mileage was 42 mpg on the highway. Most of my driving is in the city, though, and I average around 28 mpg.
Ya I’ve heard a few people say that about the manual. Believe it or not it’s just the fact there’s no armrest. I mean for me that’s huge that it’s not even offered.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ya I’ve heard a few people say that about the manual. Believe it or not it’s just the fact there’s no armrest. I mean for me that’s huge that it’s not even offered.
If you really want the armrest, maybe you can just order one from SEL and swap it?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Somebody posted awhile ago about an aftermarket armrest that he installed. I'll see if I can find it.

Found it! It was on a different message board, but it was a Canadian Venue owner:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you really want the armrest, maybe you can just order one from SEL and swap it?
So forgive my ignorance but, what is SEL? I guess we call that the ‘preferred package’ that’s the model above ‘essential’. That’s what we call the base model here. I asked the parts guys at the local dealer and he just said quickly ‘there’s nothing to mount it to’. I’m sure it can be mounted. I think he was just not interested in looking at a schematic for me.

·
Registered
24 Posts
SEL is one trim above SE in the state. Both SEL premium and denim have the armrest. I think they are not add on, so you have to replace the whole center console.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK thanks for that. I have found an online parts fische for Hyundai Canada. Looks to me like I can get all the parts required for about $450 Canadian funds

·
Super Moderator
Dark Nights: Death Metal
294 Posts
No more manual transmission for USA 2021 Venue models because working Americans prefer automatic (can't drive manual).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ha ha yeah… Here we call manual cars millennial proof! Well so far, I have not found any negative information on the IVT. Hopefully that’s a good sign

·
Registered
158 Posts
While I cannot offer alot in terms of experience with the IVT, I can tell you my impressions after a couple of weeks in the saddle. The word used the most by myself and other passengers regarding the car in general is "smooth". With the drive mode in "normal", 0-50mph is an effortless exercise once you find the sweet spot in the throttle. It feels almost like an electric car once this is achieved and Hyundai did an excellent job with throttle mapping in this mode.
Is it fast?...no, but it manages the power very well. The lack of power is only relevant at speeds over 60mph when merging onto interstates, but in start/stop traffic it is a joy to drive compared to the clutch operation found in a manual. I just got rid of my DD which was a 2013 Sonic RS with a 6 speed stick. Super fun out of the city, but I do not miss the clutch in the city.
The IVT performs well so far and I feel like it will get better with more break in. Im not sure if Hyundai uses "intelligent" programming to help with downshift sequences, particularly when grading is involved, but if it does learn...it will only get better the more I drive it.
Longevity is the question for me at this point, and only time will tell. I really hope it holds up because i can honestly say it is one of the best cvt transmissions I have drove to date.
Hope this helps.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts