Hyundai Venue Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
2022 Venue Essential - 6 Speed Manual - Polar white
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got my Hitch Cargo Tray installed. Went for a test drive and all good. Should be good to transport fertilizer bags, suitcases etc. Rated at 200 pound max capacity.
Loaded will block the Rearview Camera, so old fashioned reverse technique to be used in such situations.
Note: I added DOT Reflective Tape to the edges so other drivers can see it; specially during Night Driving.
Tire Vehicle registration plate Wheel Vehicle Car

Car Vehicle Hood Wheel Automotive design

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What hitch did you install to do this?
Curt Mfg. hitch (part 11609). It鈥檚 a bolt on installation, but is not as straightforward as you might think. bumber bolts are not easy to reach according to the Uhaul guy that did the installation.

Registered
Curt Mfg. hitch (part 11609). It鈥檚 a bolt on installation, but is not as straightforward as you might think. bumber bolts are not easy to reach according to the Uhaul guy that did the installation.
etrailer.com is a great website to buy hitches and wiring harnesses. They also include fish wires to more easily install the bolts. You screw the bolts onto the ends of the fish wires and then you fish them through the frame. No drilling of the unibody is required, but you have to temporarily lower the exhaust (just pry it off the rubber mounts). Here's a video on how to do it on a Hyundai Kona -- probably similar to the Venue. etrailer.com does supply directions.

Too bad they haven't made a video yet of the Venue hitch installation. There might be one on YouTube. Definitely pay your mechanic or a UHaul dealer to do it if this looks too complicated. Having the lift would surely help, but it could be done via ramps or frame stands.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
etrailer.com is a great website to buy hitches and wiring harnesses. They also include fish wires to more easily install the bolts. You screw the bolts onto the ends of the fish wires and then you fish them through the frame. No drilling of the unibody is required, but you have to temporarily lower the exhaust (just pry it off the rubber mounts). Here's a video on how to do it on a Hyundai Kona -- probably similar to the Venue. etrailer.com does supply directions.

Too bad they haven't made a video yet of the Venue hitch installation. There might be one on YouTube. Definitely pay your mechanic or a UHaul dealer to do it if this looks too complicated. Having the lift would surely help, but it could be done via ramps or frame stands.

I had UHaul install it. $55 Canadian Bucks with Hitch purchase. I didn鈥檛 want them to add a Wiring harness since my hitch install is just for cargo tray & bike rack ( No towing stuff).
Adding Wiring harness is about $150 or so.
If you browse Uhaul.com they鈥檒l give you a quick quote. That鈥檚 what I did; and Uhaul will guarantee the hitch install as long as you own the vehicle; easy & well worth it.

Registered
I had UHaul install it. $55 Canadian Bucks with Hitch purchase. I didn鈥檛 want them to add a Wiring harness since my hitch install is just for cargo tray & bike rack ( No towing stuff).
If you browse Uhaul.com they鈥檒l give you a quick quote. That鈥檚 what I did; and Uhaul will guarantee the hitch install as long as you own the vehicle; easy & well worth it.
How much was the actual hitch?

Registered
Wow, that's dirt cheap. I just posted the video so people can see it's not a big deal to add a hitch. No cutting of the frame/unibody is needed.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I wonder what the MPG tradeoff is.
If you are referring to how having a hitch Cargo Tray will affect MPG, in theory it should not affect gas mileage. Even when fully loaded is behind the vehicle "drafting"; gas mileage should be almost the same as not having the Hitch Cargo tray.

I think is more efficient than having a big Cargo Box on Top of the Vehicle attached to the Roof Rack; which will increase your drag coefficient (aerodynamically speaking), and that would decrease your MPG. Reference Article: How Rooftop Carriers Affect Fuel Economy for Cars and SUVs

The downside of the Cargo Tray is that other Drivers might not see it attached to the rear of the Vehicle; specially at night . Also your Rear Suspension will be affected , the Venue is small so I'm sure the rear of the vehicle would bounce more with a fully loaded Hitch Cargo tray.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.