Hyundai Venue Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The neighbor's daughter moved back to this area to start a new (her dream) job, and her old '07 Chevy Cobalt's almost all rust now and starting to fall apart. She's been looking for a vehicle.

She came over with them to say hi and said "what kind of car is that?", and I showed it to her and let her drive it. She said she wanted one, but "aren't all cars like a year back ordered or overpriced?" I said no, not Hyundai. Well, they are short on stock but not as bad as some car makers.

She ended up buying one a few days later at the local Hyundai dealer. They had a scarlet red Ultimate or a silver SEL. She ended up going with the red Ultimate.

Too bad last year, some good friends of mine didn't listen to my advice. They are a one-car family, the wife is a stay-at-home mom, and she makes homemade soap to sell at craft fairs. He works FT. Plus they go camping a lot -- kind of outdoorsy/hippy-ish, nice family. They had a 2010 Fiesta sedan with a lot of miles and rust, so he wanted to buy something newer and relegate Fiesta for his new driver daughter and his wife to share.

He sent me a link to a '17 Fiesta S sedan at a local Chevy/Buick dealer for $17k. It had 65k miles on it, Crank windows (they like simple cars) but with AC and AT. But the CarFax was not good. Only showed 2 oil changes -- not that it necessarily only got 2 changes, but cars are such commodity items, may as well get one that is all squared away.

As much as I wanted to recommend a Venue, I suggested a new Kia Soul (for the extra room). $19.700 for LX trim plus $500 for the tech package. I said: "it will be better for camping (they put a canoe on their Fiesta), more room, plus it has a new car warranty -- 10 yr/100,000 miles. And that Fiesta is overpriced and has an iffy CarFax and it is out of warranty completely. Something breaks, you are screwed."

Well he didn't listen, and he bought the Fiesta. The tranny blew up a few months ago -- about 10 months into owning it. So he had to pay $4k for a new one. Would've been $2k for a used one but no warranty. So now that $17k Fiesta used car cost him more than a new Soul. And if something else breaks on Fiesta, it's out of pocket. He says he should've listened to me. lol.

He also tried to see if the dealer where he bought it would take it back and give him what he paid. lol. Um, no, they offered him like $4k for it, so he'd be upside down $13k on the loan for the new vehicle. When it comes to buying cars, one mustn't be too emotional about keeping with a certain brand/model. Especially when it's a useless sedan.

·
Seto Kaiba
Blue Eyes White Dragon™
467 Posts
My '12 civic coupe got totaled, so I bought the Venue.
Sometimes, I daydream about buying the exact same civic model because I had so many memories with it.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My '12 civic coupe got totaled, so I bought the Venue.
Sometimes, I daydream about buying the exact same civic model because I had so many memories with it.
You can probably find one in great shape for a great price though it's still a coupe at the end of the day and doesn't have the space or flexibility of a hatchback/crossover/SUV/wagon.

The Honda Fit would be a cool vehicle to get. This one sleeps 4 comfortably. :) The front passenger seat is called a "magic seat" and it folds completely flat as the rear seat and rear cargo area, so you can stretch out and sleep comfortably there. Or use that space for lumber or other materials.

I wish the Venue had a fold-flat front passenger seat to increase the cargo volume (or car camping abilities).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts