Hyundai Venue Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Venue SEL (USA) - "Hydo"
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, it should read that way for my 2022 SEL! My average on my recent round trip 3,600(+/-) miles was 33 mpg. That was on interstate expressways/tollways with 70, 75, 80 mph speed limit. You do not drive 55 or 60 on these expressways to get the government advertised highway mpg. You will be mowed down by semis. AND in my hilly Northern Arizona town, running errands with my SEL gives me almost 40 mpg! I had 39.4 mpg when I got home from Costco. Going to Costco is up hill and coming home is down hill. And oh, when going down hill, I coast in neutral especially when there are no other vehicles in my direction. And notice my traction control is off. I always turn it off when I start up. I feel like it still saves energy when that thing is off! You know, these mpg's on the new vehicle stickers this modern day is unrealistic!

Motor vehicle Speedometer Gauge Car Font

·
Registered
2022 Venue SEL (USA) - "Hydo"
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess it depends on your circumstances. I generally get around 42 mpg on the highway, and around 28 mpg in my city-errands driving.
Yeah, your highway in Chicago is probably limited to 40 mph because of traffic. Yeah you achieve the advertised mpg or surpassed it, great. 28 mpg running errands in Chicago? My real number running errands on this hilly Northern Arizona is on the picture.

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Venue Preferred
324 Posts
Call me crazy but I can't see how traction control could affect fuel economy, it never activates unless the wheels slip. Which isn't likely on bare pavement.
EDIT: should have been clearer...it never activates unless the wheels slip or based on the Yaw sensor in the event of a skid or spin.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I get about 30 mpg usually because most of my driving is short runs around small roads, lots of traffic lights/idling. I get about 41 mpg highway.

You would think the IVT tranny would be smart enough to put it in idle when you're coasting downhill? I guess not, because of the engine braking effect so that you don't have to use the brakes as much.

My 2011 Ford Focus base sedan with the 4 speed AT got about 41 mpg highway too. But of course I think it weighed a little less than the Venue. Its engine had variable valve timing which I think all cars have these days.

·
Registered
324 Posts
This is an interesting article about the engine braking effect on fuel economy. Uses no fuel and reduces wear on your brakes. I was surprised to read this, can't count the number of times I coasted in neutral thinking I was saving, when it was costing...lol.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Yeah, your highway in Chicago is probably limited to 40 mph because of traffic. Yeah you achieve the advertised mpg or surpassed it, great. 28 mpg running errands in Chicago? My real number running errands on this hilly Northern Arizona is on the picture.
Well I apologize for thinking I know more about my car and my traffic and my mileage than you do. Carry on.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Yes, it should read that way for my 2022 SEL! My average on my recent round trip 3,600(+/-) miles was 33 mpg. That was on interstate expressways/tollways with 70, 75, 80 mph speed limit. You do not drive 55 or 60 on these expressways to get the government advertised highway mpg. You will be mowed down by semis. AND in my hilly Northern Arizona town, running errands with my SEL gives me almost 40 mpg! I had 39.4 mpg when I got home from Costco. Going to Costco is up hill and coming home is down hill. And oh, when going down hill, I coast in neutral especially when there are no other vehicles in my direction. And notice my traction control is off. I always turn it off when I start up. I feel like it still saves energy when that thing is off! You know, these mpg's on the new vehicle stickers this modern day is unrealistic!

View attachment 1309
Do the same drive but post a pic of the Drive info display. I bet your 39.4 (172.0mi 05:45h) was not a trip to Costco but was mostly accumulated on part of your long trip or highway driving.

·
Registered
2022 Venue Essential - 6 Speed Manual - Polar white
46 Posts
I just did a 320 Mile (166 miles each way) round trip this weekend and averaged 39 Miles per Gallon on mostly Highway. First trip over 100 miles that I've taken with my Venue. And the highway I took has 2 mountain passes so wasn't able to stay in 6th. gear all the time.
In city driving I'm getting 27/28 mpg but mostly because my venue is a 6 Speed manual and I like to hold the gears longer for better acceleration and is part of the fun of having a manual transmission.

These are averages, and is known that car manufacturers will post mpg stickers using very easy driving tests (flat roads and keeping the vehicle at 55 mph in highways to get the best numbers for them to advertise and comply with regulations).
What mpg you get from your vehicle is your own 'real life test' and there are so many factors in the equation (Example: Premium vs Regular Gasoline used, road condition, tires used, weather, ac/heat being used, vehicle load, how you accelerate from a full stop, how you break, etc...).

I recommend doing a manual calculation for fuel consumption (do not rely on the trip computer).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts