Hyundai Venue Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2020 SE, 6 Speed Manual
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This isn't so much a mod....I'd call it more of an upgrade. But for anyone with the 6 speed manual transmission (probably just Chicago_Jake and myself), you can easily switch your shift knob out for a leather one.

I was looking for a leather shift knob that would fit my Venue, which meant that it had to have the curved bottom to accommodate the reverse lockout lever:
Original plastic knob

There are several Hyundai & Kia models that have leather shift knobs in this shape. But some of the videos on YouTube showed that they were screwed on/off. The type that's on the Venue doesn't have threads - You just pull it straight up to remove it.

Since I couldn't find a leather knob that I was 100% sure would be the correct type, I didn't want to spend too much on it. So I took a chance on a cheap knob on Ali Express for $22.

It took about 3 1/2 weeks to arrive, but I was pretty impressed with the quality of it. If this is not a genuine Hyundai part, I think it would be pretty difficult for anyone to know that it was a knockoff.

Car Vehicle White Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
2020 SE, 6 Speed Manual
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Very cool! And, I have the 6sp, too! I love shifting, hate automatics. It’s fun to wind the little 1.6L up and get the most out of it.
Awesome! The manual transmission was the only reason I chose the Venue. I only wish I they would have offered it on the SEL trim.

Now I have to find myself a leather steering wheel.....

·
Registered
187 Posts
Awesome! The manual transmission was the only reason I chose the Venue. I only wish I they would have offered it on the SEL trim.

Now I have to find myself a leather steering wheel.....
I'm sending my leather steering wheel to my friend who does car upholstery work. He's going to dissect it and make a template to re-wrap my wheel in a custom color/combo. Does amazing work!

The two wheels below are examples of steering wheels from my old car.

Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design Steering part
Output device Font Material property Audio equipment Rim

·
Registered
2020 SE, 6 Speed Manual
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm sending my leather steering wheel to my friend who does car upholstery work. He's going to dissect it and make a template to re-wrap my wheel in a custom color/combo. Does amazing work!
I've seen the pre-cut leather steering wheel covers for sale on ebay and other places. I always wonder how well they fit. And even if they did fit perfectly, I'm almost positive that I would screw up the sewing job.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I've seen the pre-cut leather steering wheel covers for sale on ebay and other places. I always wonder how well they fit. And even if they did fit perfectly, I'm almost positive that I would screw up the sewing job.
I don't trust myself doing the stitching. What my friend does is remove all the OEM stuff, and actually sew/reupholster/glue whatever material and color combo you want for it. He does mostly Napa Leather, but Alcantara is available too. I've had him do full door cards, car panels, before as well. Just depends on what you want.

I plan on re-doing my OEM wheel to full black, grey center markers up top, full grey bottom, and possibly perforated sides on the steering wheel

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.