Hyundai Venue Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Chicago Ralph 2020™
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some tips from the MPG experts.

I am thinking about converting my car into a mobile office/studio.
Instead of renting a 200 sf to 300 sf for $500-$800 per month, I could just convert the Venue into an office.
The car will consume between 1/5 to 7/10 of a gallon of fuel per 1 idle hour while I use the electricity and etc so that's like $2-$4 per hour. The Venue has like a 12-gallon tank.
I will only do this maybe 1-3 hours per week max.

My only concern is how it will affect the MPG because the car will basically have 0 MPG while idling.
Also, are there any long-term repercussion to this? (Engine, Battery and etc.)

I could buy this and practically have a wall power outlet in the car.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I imagine the long-term repercussions to the engine and battery and etc. will not be much worse than a typical rush-hour slow-creeping commute. Some people spend two hours a day doing that. And it will be much easier on the brakes and the clutch.

But yeah, your MPG calculations from the onboard computer are going to go to hell.

Where are you going to put the copy machine and the water cooler?

·
Super Moderator
Chicago Ralph 2020™
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I mostly need the AC cooling plus the sound proofing of the car.
Maybe put a makeshift desk on my steering wheel for the laptop/camera.

I will do a test-run.
If it is not efficient, maybe I can just buy a portable power bank, which can power office equipment, and still have the office in the car.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I imagine the long-term repercussions to the engine and battery and etc. will not be much worse than a typical rush-hour slow-creeping commute. Some people spend two hours a day doing that. And it will be much easier on the brakes and the clutch.

But yeah, your MPG calculations from the onboard computer are going to go to hell.

Where are you going to put the copy machine and the water cooler?
I was thinking about something like that to plug a vacuum :D to clean the seats
this one actually SpotClean Pro™ Portable Carpet Cleaner 3624 | BISSELL®

"bad idea ?"

·
Super Moderator
Chicago Ralph 2020™
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
I don't think the idling time will make much of a difference on the engine's longevity, plus it won't eat up the warranty, as the warranty is based on years and miles and not idling time.

As long as you are careful about the maintenance like oil changes with synthetic oil/quality filter.

If you can save hundreds of dollars a month over renting an office, then that will more than makeup for what little additional wear is done to the engine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts