Hyundai Venue Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Ceramic White SE, iVT(CVT)
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I am a retired machinist down here in sunny Florida who likes tiny, simple vehicles with small motors. Last month my 9.5 year old Honda Fit Sport's wiring harness was chewed up by rodents (more common than you would think) and was going to cost $3,700 to repair! Normally I do a lot of research before buying a new vehicle, but with the Fit's automatic transmission now refusing to shift beyond second gear I was motivated to shop quickly. I had never even ridden in a Hyundai, but I liked what I had seen and read about them, so I stopped at the brand new Hyundai dealership near me. The 19-year-old salesman I drew asked me what kind of vehicle I was looking for and suggested I test drive the Venue.

At first I was apprehensive; It looked much bigger than it actually is, I was looking for a slightly bigger (1.8 to 2.0L) engine and didn't really want a CVT. But once I drove it I really liked it, CVT and all! 99% of my driving is around town, my Fit had an even smaller engine (1.5L) that worked out fine, and the Venue's CVT really impressed me.

I bought my white SE a month ago, and because the sun beats down so harshly on vehicles here in Florida I quickly got the windows tinted and put some Auto Sunshade-type window awnings on it so I can leave the windows down an inch when I run into the store. For me, it's fun to try to see how high MPG numbers I can get, and if the Venue's computer can be trusted my short trips around town (about 15 miles each) easily hit over 40 MPG! I'm 250 miles into my first tank of gas and spent a bit of time idling the car with the A/C running just familiarizing myself with the electronics, and my average for the tank is over 38 MPG! Every day I am liking this little car more and more!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi everyone,

I am a retired machinist down here in sunny Florida who likes tiny, simple vehicles with small motors. Last month my 9.5 year old Honda Fit Sport's wiring harness was chewed up by rodents (more common than you would think) and was going to cost $3,700 to repair! Normally I do a lot of research before buying a new vehicle, but with the Fit's automatic transmission now refusing to shift beyond second gear I was motivated to shop quickly. I had never even ridden in a Hyundai, but I liked what I had seen and read about them, so I stopped at the brand new Hyundai dealership near me. The 19-year-old salesman I drew asked me what kind of vehicle I was looking for and suggested I test drive the Venue.

At first I was apprehensive; It looked much bigger than it actually is, I was looking for a slightly bigger (1.8 to 2.0L) engine and didn't really want a CVT. But once I drove it I really liked it, CVT and all! 99% of my driving is around town, my Fit had an even smaller engine (1.5L) that worked out fine, and the Venue's CVT really impressed me.

I bought my white SE a month ago, and because the sun beats down so harshly on vehicles here in Florida I quickly got the windows tinted and put some Auto Sunshade-type window awnings on it so I can leave the windows down an inch when I run into the store. For me, it's fun to try to see how high MPG numbers I can get, and if the Venue's computer can be trusted my short trips around town (about 15 miles each) easily hit over 40 MPG! I'm 250 miles into my first tank of gas and spent a bit of time idling the car with the A/C running just familiarizing myself with the electronics, and my average for the tank is over 38 MPG! Every day I am liking this little car more and more!
Congratulations! That’s impressive mileage. I bought my Venue two months ago, a 2021 SEL Premium. I’m pretty happy with it. I’m also retired and drive mostly in town. My short trips are around 34 mpg. The first thing I also got are tinted windows and a windshield sunshade. Cheers.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the message, Johnny. So far my mileage seems to vary greatly, from low 40's when I am really trying to be light on the gas pedal to upper 20's when I am in a hurry to get somewhere. That's going to make it a fun challenge. My old Honda Fit got low to mid 30's for MPG no matter what I did.

·
Super Moderator
Chicago Ralph 2020™
245 Posts
Welcome to the Venue Forums, RIcky.
I got a 2020 White SEL myself to cool off during hot summer months in Cali.

Surprisingly, the Hyundai Venue is 2 inches smaller in length than the Honda Fit, but the Venue looks roomier.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Welcome aboard, Ricky!

I've had my SE for over a year and I'm still loving it. I test drove the CVT version and found it too sluggish, so I got the manual transmission version (sadly no longer available). I get around 42 mpg on the highway and around 27 in the city.

I didn't trust the on-board computer to calculate my gas mileage, so I did a couple "by hand" calculations (dividing miles driven since the last fill-up by gallons of gas pumped) and I found that the computer is actually surprisingly accurate!

It is my first Hyundai, too. I've been exclusively a Toyota man for the last forty years, but this time round I really wanted a tall small crossover, and Toyota just doesn't have one in the US market (yet). So the Venue and the Soul were really my only options. I'm happy with my choice so far.

Looking forward to your continued contributions to the community!

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Venue Preferred
46 Posts
Welcome aboard. I took delivery of my Venue a couple of weeks ago. Very happy with it. I confirmed the computer is reasonably accurate vs real world calculation on my first fill up. My best trip economy so far was 46.1 MPG.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome to the Venue Forums, RIcky.
I got a 2020 White SEL myself to cool off during hot summer months in Cali.

Surprisingly, the Hyundai Venue is 2 inches smaller in length than the Honda Fit, but the Venue looks roomier.
Hi Ralph,
Yes, the Venue is very close to the size of my old Fit, but to look at it from the outside it looks WAY bigger (especially in white)! At first I tried to limit myself to test driving small hatchbacks because of the optical illusion, but there weren't any on the lots. I am so glad I listened to the young salesman and drove the Venue!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome aboard, Ricky!

I've had my SE for over a year and I'm still loving it. I test drove the CVT version and found it too sluggish, so I got the manual transmission version (sadly no longer available). I get around 42 mpg on the highway and around 27 in the city.

I didn't trust the on-board computer to calculate my gas mileage, so I did a couple "by hand" calculations (dividing miles driven since the last fill-up by gallons of gas pumped) and I found that the computer is actually surprisingly accurate!

It is my first Hyundai, too. I've been exclusively a Toyota man for the last forty years, but this time round I really wanted a tall small crossover, and Toyota just doesn't have one in the US market (yet). So the Venue and the Soul were really my only options. I'm happy with my choice so far.

Looking forward to your continued contributions to the community!
Hi Jake,
I agree, and would have probably got a manual transmission if it were still offered. A little less than half of the vehicles I have owned have been manual shifters, but I tend to drive much more aggressively in a M/T. This CVT surprised me a lot and I think it will be better for me in the long run (by suppressing my inner "Mario Andretti")😆.

Most of my vehicles have been Hondas, followed closely by Toyota. Love the vehicles; hate the salespeople! If their vehicles weren't so good, potential customers wouldn't put up with their sleazy sales tactics! Hyundai/Kia vehicles appear very close to those designed in Japan now so it was time to give them a try. So far, I am really liking this Venue!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Welcome aboard. I took delivery of my Venue a couple of weeks ago. Very happy with it. I confirmed the computer is reasonably accurate vs real world calculation on my first fill up. My best trip economy so far was 46.1 MPG.
I have kept track of my gas mileage for as long as I can remember, and my old Honda Fit did have a more basic mileage computer, so the Venue's computer is a welcomed improvement. It will be interesting to see how we both do.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Congrats on your new Venue. I’m about two months in, and loving this little guy.
Welcome aboard!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts