Hyundai Venue Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if I should leave it in snow mode. I thought it was to get traction to get the car moving forward and not spin the tires. When the streets are a mix of pavement and hard packed frozen snow or uncleared snow mixed with sand should I keep it in snow mode?

Registered
2021 Hyundai Venue Preferred
Personally, if there is enough snow, slush or ice to affect wheel slippage, I will turn it on. I've often found myself driving too fast for the road conditions because snow mode masks how bad the road really is.

Registered
Personally, if there is enough snow, slush or ice to affect wheel slippage, I will turn it on. I've often found myself driving too fast for the road conditions because snow mode masks how bad the road really is.
this is a good topic to discus...I don't think there's enough info in the manuals about snow mode and whether snow mode should be left on at times other then pulling away in snowy conditions, and the reason I'm saying this is does the operation of snow mode and traction control interfere with each other's operation...I know that some 4 wheel drives have various modes to use with their systems and in some of those modes they are only to be used when needed to get out of situations that require it and it's not to be used for normal driving.

I know we are only front wheel drive and don't have the same equipment of what a 4 wheeled drive vehicle has, and also having a IVT type of transmission, I wonder if keeping snow mode on for highway driving speeds other than only driving in low speeds affects excessive wear and tare on things like the IVT transmission.

I wonder if there's any mechanics on this board or knowledgeable people that know about this or any here that have good experience of this that can help us out with this.

Registered
I think that since the manual states the shifting patterns will be adjusted that implies it can be used during normal driving. It works It is a program that works in concert with traction and stability control systems.

Font Rectangle Terrestrial plant Circle Parallel

I found this quote on a Hyundai website.
"
How Hyundai Snow Mode Works

Snow Mode was designed to excel in even the toughest winter conditions. As you navigate icy roads and snowy trails, your Hyundai will automatically make adjustments to improve your handling. This means the power from the engine, transmission, drivetrain, and braking system will work in harmony to optimize your traction."

Registered
Remember, if you want to use snow mode, you have to remember to turn it on after you start the engine so it's intended to be selected as required. I know I can feel the difference between normal and snow mode when the roads are snowy,slippery or slushy.

This quote is from the Hyundai Canada online sales literature:
"Take on different road conditions with confidence by switching between the available terrain modes. This intuitive feature can adjust traction accordingly for optimal grip to help improve handling when you鈥檙e in the snow, sand or mud."

Registered
If there's snow and/or ice on the roads -- even a little, I'd turn it on. If the roads are clear of snow, I'd leave it off. Next time you start the car, it will be off by default, so then just turn it on again if the roads have snow.

Registered
Just a guess here, but I imagine that snow mode will adversely affect gas mileage. So if that is a consideration for you, you would only use it when needed. I make that guess because everything comes at a cost, and if there were no negative effects of snow mode, they would just make it the normal mode.

Registered
the thing I think of is the difference of snow mode and the traction control because the traction control does basically the same thing...I'll use the snow mode when needed and because it also does the added part of the transmission control and when you think about the transmission, it's really not like the normal transmissions used in the majority of vehicles.

I've been experimenting using it with the traction control off and with it on just pulling away from a stop on a side street that's not used much and it's a street that would be one of the last to get plowed in the winter...I find that leaving the traction control on and using the snow mode at the same time keeps the car in a much more straight line...just using the traction control works but it alone doesn't keep the car in as a straight line as using the added snow mode...when I've done this test I was giving the car more gas/speed to force the modes to work rather then just pulling away at a normal speed, and the road I was using had about 6 inches or so of wet snow and the road is about 200 feet long so my tests were basically just from stop to go and this is just with the snow/mud tires that came with the Venue.

I'll use the snow mode when ever I have to travel on the road conditions that need the use of the snow mode and I'll still be using the tires that the car came with because I don't have to travel on bad road conditions because I'm retired but of course there can be times when I will be some where when conditions change very fast, but even in snowing conditions I'll still drive in town in conditions that need the snow mode.

One of the many reasons I bought the Venue was because of the snow mode on a front wheel drive vehicle and how it would work and my driving needs being that the car will be my daily driver and my daily drivers have always been kept for 20+ years. 馃榿

Registered
The snow mode software is an awesome enhancement. It sits a level above the other systems, traction control, ABS, stability control, management of engine power and transmission shift points. It makes decisions to adjust those systems and passes them down to keep you straight and pulling steady.

Registered
The snow mode software is an awesome enhancement. It sits a level above the other systems, traction control, ABS, stability control, management of engine power and transmission shift points. It makes decisions to adjust those systems and passes them down to keep you straight and pulling steady.
Yep it definitely helps. Last winter lesser cars like a Civic/Corolla would get stuck here in this apartment complex. Management doesn't get plows out here fast enough, and last year was just heavy in terms of snow.

I was stuck behind some of them while on my way out. They barely were able to pull back into their parking spaces.

Trying to defeat these systems is a hobby by some people. I've ridden in cars where people didn't know how ABS works even. They'd pump the brakes to keep from sliding in the ice/snow. I'd tell them um you're defeating the ABS and traction control. Also some people shut off traction control for some reason.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Snow mode is now my favourite feature - at least for the next 4 months or so. Thanks everyone for the input. I passed a 2 car collision on the way home at a 4 way stop. Intersection was pretty icy and as I start moving forward from a full stop, it felt like the car was holding me back from over accelerating - or am I just delusional?

Registered
Snow mode is now my favourite feature - at least for the next 4 months or so. Thanks everyone for the input. I passed a 2 car collision on the way home at a 4 way stop. Intersection was pretty icy and as I start moving forward from a full stop, it felt like the car was holding me back from over accelerating - or am I just delusional?
No, you are not delusional...not about snow mode anyway...lol. Pretty smart cat, the Venue.

Registered
yeah that's the system controlling your car for you...besides my Venue which is my new daily driver I have a 1999 Camaro SS which I've always put it away for the winters...the second winter I had it I had moved to a house that has a cement driveway that's on about a 30 degree slop up to the garage...every winter I put the car on jack stands in the garage so that I can start it up at least once a week and run the car for about 5 kilometers because being on jack stands the wheels are off the ground and when running the car like this every thing turns/runs except the 2 front wheels and doing this keeps every thing in top running order...so when I moved, that winter I didn't put the car on jack stands and one day the weather was good and I thought I'd run the car out of the garage and go back and forth on the driveway just to move everything on the drive train...there was just a bit of a few patches of ice on the driveway...my car has traction control and ABS and is a 6 speed manual transmission, and when I tried to drive it back into the garage the traction control kicked in but both rear wheels were on the icy surfaces and even though most of the driveway was bare cement I couldn't get the car past the icy spots and as well the tires on the Camaro are not like regular cars...I tried using higher gears to decrease the wheel spin and my traction control kept knocking my speed back on the icy patches and the traction control actually pushed my accelerator pedal back which it will do if I try to accelerate too much on wet roads...luckily my cross road neighbor's drive way was clear and directly in line with mine and the only way to get my car up my driveway and into the garage was to build up speed from the driveway across the road and once I got to my icy section I lifted off the gas and had enough momentive to coast back into the garage. 馃ぃ

this is some what like you experienced and as well you will probably hear mechanical sounds coming from the equipment that controls the snow mod.

Registered
here in Ontario for the last few days we've been in the "snow/weather bomb" affect and I've been using the snow mode and I don't know if it's just my imagination or not, but what I think I'm noticing that when I'm driving in town and approaching a stop sign or traffic lights that are red or getting close to it that I let off on the gas and coast up to where I have to stop, and even before I have to start braking it feels that my Venue is slowing down more in this mode and I think it may also be keeping me in a gear that's slowing me down more then using the normal mode some what like when I've used a standard transmission to slow my car down by downshifting and allowing the transmission to slow me down before I have to brake.

has anyone else noticed this while using snow mode, and again, this is while driving in town where we are normally driving town low mph speed.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
... and even before I have to start braking it feels that my Venue is slowing down more in this mode and I think it may also be keeping me in a gear that's slowing me down more then using the normal mode some what like when I've used a standard transmission to slow my car down by downshifting and allowing the transmission to slow me down before I have to brake.

has anyone else noticed this while using snow mode, and again, this is while driving in town where we are normally driving town low mph speed.
Yes - my old Tercel was a standard and in snow mode, the Venue feels like a smoother downshift. I'm learning that there are many things working in tandem to keep us safe . Coming to a stop at an icy intersection and my Venue applied my brakes more aggressively than I was. Having said that, I'm still considering winter tires. I haven't had to make an emergency stop in this car yet but I know the difference snow tires make.

Registered
Yes - my old Tercel was a standard and in snow mode, the Venue feels like a smoother downshift. I'm learning that there are many things working in tandem to keep us safe . Coming to a stop at an icy intersection and my Venue applied my brakes more aggressively than I was. Having said that, I'm still considering winter tires. I haven't had to make an emergency stop in this car yet but I know the difference snow tires make.
Because I'm retired I'm sticking with the tries the Venue came with, which are snow and mud tires...I don't have to drive in sever winter weather...when these tires need to be replaced I'll get the all weather tires that can be used year round and they have the snow flake symbol on them...by the time my tires wear out the all weather tires will be even better then they are now...one interesting thing about SUV's is that they come with tires rated for them versus a normal car tire and since the Venue is really classified as a type of SUV and not a car, is why I suspect the Venue has a snow and mud tire...tires are rated for many types of use and I suspect the SUV's are mostly rated for the weight they can carry and their use, and I think our Venues have the stiffer suspension because of the weight they can carry when fully loaded with people and or cargo.

Being retired and not having to travel in bad weather and driving in town, the tires that come with the Venue are good enough for my use.

Registered
here in Ontario for the last few days we've been in the "snow/weather bomb" affect and I've been using the snow mode and I don't know if it's just my imagination or not, but what I think I'm noticing that when I'm driving in town and approaching a stop sign or traffic lights that are red or getting close to it that I let off on the gas and coast up to where I have to stop, and even before I have to start braking it feels that my Venue is slowing down more in this mode and I think it may also be keeping me in a gear that's slowing me down more then using the normal mode some what like when I've used a standard transmission to slow my car down by downshifting and allowing the transmission to slow me down before I have to brake.

Yes, the IVT gradually changes gear ratio to slow you down similar to a manual but not so much in steps.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts