Hyundai Venue Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my Venue back in June 2022 and connected my mp3 player to the usb port on the console. All my music loaded up fine and played like normal, even set the shuffle and repeat to play everything from all the individual files. Every time I restart my vehicle, the settings remained, and playback occurred from where I left off in the song.
I stopped using the usb for a week to give SiriusXM a try through Android Auto and decided to add some songs to the mp3 player. Now every time I reconnect to the usb port, my settings always go back to default and playback does not start back up where I left off.
Any ideas on how to fix this?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Maybe. I use a USB flash drive to hold all my music. And like you, it would not remember where it left off when I came back to the car again, and it would always restart at the beginning. But I was not using an mp3 player, I was just using the player built in to the head unit.

I fixed it by reformatting the USB stick. But I used NTFS instead of FAT32. This was just on a whim, grasping at straws. But it worked. After that, the car's built in player always remembers where I left off.

I'm not sure if this anecdote will help in your situation, but maybe it will give you some ideas.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, before the Venue, I was driving a 2010 Hyundai Accent and I got an mp3 player to use for the aux port. I could have used my phone, but I wore out the headphone jack on the last one and I didn't want to do that on my new phone. At this point, it basically is USB storage because I was using the built-in player in the car. 😅

But anyways, I tried your method and it worked. It was previously formatted to FAT32, and it was working fine until I added songs to it. So, I'm not sure how that would change much of anything to make it stop working. I guess we'll have to see the next time I decide to add more songs to it. Hopefully, I won't have to format each time. If so, I'll definitely switch to a stick drive.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have 2 128G USB drives for my music, and have them loaded with certain kinds of music and they both always remembered where I left off, and every once in a while I add more to them and I use WAV format...on one, after adding music to it, it stopped displaying the way both were always doing, and with this one when I plugged it into my laptop to add music, it asked me to set a change on it because I didn't eject it from my laptop properly and so I figured that was the problem, so I formatted it and reloaded my music back on to it and it still didn't display properly like before and it didn't remember where I left off, so I left it playing in the car for a while and then pulled it out and put in my other USB drive and it still worked fine.

When I got home I again tried the one that was acting up and all was now good and it displayed properly and is still working okay...so I wonder that since the infotainment system knows where I left off no matter which of the 2 USB drives I use, I'm thinking that it may take several minutes for the system to learn how my USB drives are set up and that's why the one that was acting up eventually worked normal because the system saw what it wanted to see.

Normally when I finish loading music on a USB I always check to see if it's okay to eject from my laptop because it sometimes says that it's still working.

Got to love computers and our vehicles are now full of them. 😒😁

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update: the mp3 player stopped working again after trying to add more songs to it. Gave up on it and switched to a normal usb stick. Worked a few times and after adding songs, it did the same thing. By this point, I'm starting to think I need to reformat every single time I decide I want to add songs to these things.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Update: the mp3 player stopped working again after trying to add more songs to it. Gave up on it and switched to a normal usb stick. Worked a few times and after adding songs, it did the same thing. By this point, I'm starting to think I need to reformat every single time I decide I want to add songs to these things.
you should only have to format the thumb drive once and then put your music on it and use WAV format...that's what I do and did and I add more music any time with no problems, but make sure you aren't ejecting your thumb drive before your computer tells you it's no longer using your computer...I had to re-format one of my thumb drives because I think I removed it before it was done with my computer and I think the first time you use the thumb drive it may not work 100% the first time because my one drive didn't work 100% till after say 10 minutes and maybe the info entertainment system needs some time to load and learn the drive.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I already know all about ejecting my thumb drive. Grew up living in a computer so I know all about corrupting these things. The booklet that came with my car says mp3 format is supported so I shouldn't have to convert my entire music collection. When the thumb drive stopped working, the infotainment system just flashed "Reading USB" twice and then nothing happened. Left it in for an entire 20 minute trip and it never came up.
How do you guys load your music onto your thumb drive? Just drag and drop through Windows Explorer? Or do you use something else?
I'm old as dirt and still use Winamp on my pc and I can associate removable drives with it. So I can easily just drag files from my media list to that drive.
Also, how do you have your music files sorted on your drive? Into individual folders for each artist and album, or in just one massive list on the drive?

·
Registered
191 Posts
I already know all about ejecting my thumb drive. Grew up living in a computer so I know all about corrupting these things. The booklet that came with my car says mp3 format is supported so I shouldn't have to convert my entire music collection. When the thumb drive stopped working, the infotainment system just flashed "Reading USB" twice and then nothing happened. Left it in for an entire 20 minute trip and it never came up.
How do you guys load your music onto your thumb drive? Just drag and drop through Windows Explorer? Or do you use something else?
I'm old as dirt and still use Winamp on my pc and I can associate removable drives with it. So I can easily just drag files from my media list to that drive.
Also, how do you have your music files sorted on your drive? Into individual folders for each artist and album, or in just one massive list on the drive?
first of all for the last 20 years or more I've used RXIO software and the last version that I bought was Easy Media Creator 10, and I've used it to make CD's and DVD's, and years ago I used it to convert my VHS tapes of my kids growing up from their birth to high school, and once they got to high school they of course didn't want themselves recorded and VHS was almost dead, and I mostly have used the softwear for converting my LP's to my computer where I could then but them on CD, and since I got my Venue I copy them from my computer to thumb drives and I have always had all my music to WAV format which works for all my music weather CD's or thumb drives.

now here's what I did and do for the use of the thumb drives...I'm now using 2 128G drives...first of all I created a folder on my computer to put what music I wanted on the thumb drives so I could decide which music I would finally want on my thumb drives, and in that folder I made another individual folder for each artist and in that folder is were I put the individule albums of music that was done by that artist...and because the music was already in WAV format I sent it to the individual artist's folder and then eventually to the thumb drives...and later when I wanted to add more artists with their music to the thumb drive, I either sent it to the drive, or because I needed the thumb drive in the computer to add music, I opened the thumb drive and just copied the new music from the computer folder and then pasted it in the thumb drive.

I've explained all this so you would know my procedure, and now if you want to convert your music to WAV and don't have or want to buy software to do this, I have recently bought DIGITNOW USB Audio Capture so I could carry on converting my LP's to my computer because I had to buy a new laptop which is W11, and the manufacture in their wisdom did not give the laptop the normal in and out 3.5 connection that I have always used for my LP conversion, so I bought this new software that comes with all the cables etc. needed...I bought it from Amazon for about 20 bucks and the software that came with is called Audacity, which I believe is free to download and that software allows you to make mp3 or WAV formats, and when I make up my music using this software I have the choice of exporting it to my thumb folder either mp3 or wav...so if you need software to convert your mp3's to WAV this should do it for you and as well you can google the procedure and may find an easy way to do it, if you want to use WAV on the thumb drive.

sorry for this long post, but I just wanted to explain how I make up my thumb drives, and all this is because there's no longer CD players in our new vehicles for me to listen to my music, and as well when I convert my almost 400 LP's to my computer so I can get which ever one's I convert onto my thumb drives.

new technology can also be a pain in the butt, but it keeps my 75 year old brain exercised 😒😁

·
Registered
460 Posts
I still use Winamp on my PC, too. I wish their Android app worked the same way, but it doesn't.

I use Windows File Explorer to load up my USB drive, but I don't exactly drag and drop. More of copy and paste, although I think it does the exact same thing. I organize everything into folders for each artist, then subfolders for albums, unless I want to listen to all the albums mixed together, in which case I put them all in one folder.

I've mentioned this before, but I've never been able to get the shuffle function to work properly when playing from the USB stick. It plays about five songs in the folder at random, but then repeats those same five over and over.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I still use Winamp on my PC, too. I wish their Android app worked the same way, but it doesn't.

I use Windows File Explorer to load up my USB drive, but I don't exactly drag and drop. More of copy and paste, although I think it does the exact same thing. I organize everything into folders for each artist, then subfolders for albums, unless I want to listen to all the albums mixed together, in which case I put them all in one folder.

I've mentioned this before, but I've never been able to get the shuffle function to work properly when playing from the USB stick. It plays about five songs in the folder at random, but then repeats those same five over and over.
I've never used Winamp and copy and pasting I've used at times to load music on my thumb drive...when you do the same do you check to see if you got all the music onto your thumb drive in the proper order and in the folder you wanted it in?

do you put the music in a numerical order like the first song is number one and the next is number 2 and so on...as an example, this is what I did for a Bon Jovi CD I put on my thumb drive recently, with the songs I put in the folder called Lost Highway..
1 the song Lost Highway
2 the song Summertime
and so on all the way to the 12th song...this is the way it was on the original CD I took it off, and so the player that plays this knows which song follows the previous one and so on.

because I have no experience with Winamp, this is the reason I'm using this as an example because the player needs to know the order of the songs, so I'm wondering if this is why you're having the problem with the shuffle function...again I have no experience with Winamp.

I did the Bon Jovi CD the other day and added it onto my thumb drive, I tried it for the first time today on my Venue and when I plugged in my thumb drive into the USB in the car it took about a minute or two for the thumb drive to work properly...it's done this before after adding music to the drive, and this is why I think that the Venue's infotainment system takes a bit of time to recognize changes...after a short period all was normal again.

hope all works out for you eventually...like me getting a new laptop with Windows 11, I had to make changes and found out things changed on what I was doing on my previous laptop...maybe this is the same for you using Winamp on the Venue and if you or I were to buy say a new Ford product, we'd have to make changes again...welcome to the new world of where the manufactures love to fix things that aren't broke just to make changes that maybe their competition doesn't have just to sell their product. 😒😁

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've never used Winamp and copy and pasting I've used at times to load music on my thumb drive...when you do the same do you check to see if you got all the music onto your thumb drive in the proper order and in the folder you wanted it in?

do you put the music in a numerical order like the first song is number one and the next is number 2 and so on...as an example, this is what I did for a Bon Jovi CD I put on my thumb drive recently, with the songs I put in the folder called Lost Highway..
1 the song Lost Highway
2 the song Summertime
and so on all the way to the 12th song...this is the way it was on the original CD I took it off, and so the player that plays this knows which song follows the previous one and so on.

because I have no experience with Winamp, this is the reason I'm using this as an example because the player needs to know the order of the songs, so I'm wondering if this is why you're having the problem with the shuffle function...again I have no experience with Winamp.

I did the Bon Jovi CD the other day and added it onto my thumb drive, I tried it for the first time today on my Venue and when I plugged in my thumb drive into the USB in the car it took about a minute or two for the thumb drive to work properly...it's done this before after adding music to the drive, and this is why I think that the Venue's infotainment system takes a bit of time to recognize changes...after a short period all was normal again.

hope all works out for you eventually...like me getting a new laptop with Windows 11, I had to make changes and found out things changed on what I was doing on my previous laptop...maybe this is the same for you using Winamp on the Venue and if you or I were to buy say a new Ford product, we'd have to make changes again...welcome to the new world of where the manufactures love to fix things that aren't broke just to make changes that maybe their competition doesn't have just to sell their product. 😒😁
For me personally, when I use Winamp to add songs to my thumb drive, it creates the Artist folder and the Album folder while it names the mp3 file to Track Number - Song Title. So it sounds like it's labeled and sorted the same as how you've described. Meanwhile, I haven't ran into any issues yet with shuffling. Although I did notice the infotainment system doesn't keep track, no pun intended, of track numbers. So all of my albums have all the tracks listed alphabetically instead of numerically. I'd hate to half to go in and rename all of my files to include the track number but I'm also not that pressed to play an album in order at this time. Most of the time I just throw everything on and let it run.

·
Registered
191 Posts
For me personally, when I use Winamp to add songs to my thumb drive, it creates the Artist folder and the Album folder while it names the mp3 file to Track Number - Song Title. So it sounds like it's labeled and sorted the same as how you've described. Meanwhile, I haven't ran into any issues yet with shuffling. Although I did notice the infotainment system doesn't keep track, no pun intended, of track numbers. So all of my albums have all the tracks listed alphabetically instead of numerically. I'd hate to half to go in and rename all of my files to include the track number but I'm also not that pressed to play an album in order at this time. Most of the time I just throw everything on and let it run.
as long as you get something close to what you want and are happy with it then it's a good thing...for me, I've been using ROXIO software for probably 20 years for making music CD's and doing DVD's and doing my nearly 400 LP's onto CD's and now with just USB ports on vehicles, I'm putting music on thumb drives, and the one thing that I've been doing that hasn't changed is putting the music to WAV format which has helped me with the thumb drive for the Venue...the only thing now is the odd changes I've had to do so I can play my music in my vehicles.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts