Hyundai Venue Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I’m in the northeast. How does your Venue handle in 6 in or more of snow? Also, does it go up hills with enough acceleration, or do you have hold the pedal all the way down? Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
I live in eastern Canada, I've had my Venue since early February 2021. Unfortunately (or fortunately) I haven't experienced any significant snowfall since I got the vehicle (only light snow which was fine) so I can't tell you first hand how it handles in 'deep' snow but the performance will have a LOT to do with the type of tires (I recommend something with good winter driving reviews like Michelin X-Ice).
Having said that......the Venue is a small vehicle with front wheel drive, and only a 1.2 liter engine....it is NOT the best choice for a winter vehicle. Is it a terrible choice? That remains to be seen. As far as your question about hills, it will go up hills just fine at normal city speeds without having to hold the pedal down but if you want to go at highway speeds or if you want to pass someone, you will probably have to floor it. If you are looking for a vehicle with adequate highway/hill power that handles well in the snow there are a LOT better options than the Venue. Remember, the Venue uses the same platform as the Hyundai Accent which is a tiny sub-compact car that wasn't necessarily highly regarded for performance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks chrisgblues for your detailed information.

I’m considering the Venue since I had a rental one on vacation down in Florida and really enjoyed its zippy ride. I’ve yet to test drive one here in NJ but wanted real venue owners opinions not just the dealer hype. I’ve owned Subaru’s for the last 18 years and wanted to purchase the Venue as an additional car. With our winters and your input I will definitely have to keep the Subaru for those snowstorms we get. I’ll be out test driving in the next few days! Thanks again!

·
Registered
160 Posts
I test drove a Venue with a CVT and another one with a manual transmission. The CVT was quite sluggish. It would be a pain on a highway on-ramp. I didn't try any hills - Chicago is flat as a pancake! I bought the manual vehicle, and it performs great on the highway. Unfortunately, they don't offer that option anymore.

We haven't had much snow since I bought it, so can't speak to that question.

·
Super Moderator
Chicago Ralph 2020 🚗
117 Posts
Venues are Front Wheel Drive so far.
The Upper Trim Levels have a SNOW MODE, which I have not used.

If you are going to be driving on snow for more than 5-10% of the time, you are better off getting an AWD or 4WD.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I drive one of the Chevy trailblazers when shopping and liked it a lot and it’s available in AWD. Haven’t had mine in the snow but with the right tires, I doubt it would be a problem with the venue. The ivt is a busy body when dealing with grades, that I can tell you from WV. There is a learning curve for sure.

·
Registered
2020, Ceramic White, Hyundai, Venue, SEL, Convenience Package, Premium Package, CVT
14 Posts
I had no issues with snow this year actually really fun to drive! Never once got stuck, snow mode is more gimmicky whether it's on or not abs/traction control always kicks in to keep the tires from slipping. More issue with the LED headlights covering with snow really quick and visibility becomes limited if roads are not lit, had to keep pulling over or take exits to clear them off. I live in RI we had a nor'easter in December and February drove to work through them! No issues with hills. 90% of my driving is highway and I have no trouble merging. Before I bought this car I test drove another one and floored it the vehicle does the same at 3000rpm as it does at 6000rpm.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ryan9201 Thanks for your response! Makes me feel better about purchasing the Venue. Nice photos.... that’s exactly what I was concerned about, significant snow. I see what you mean about headlight visibility. Just a quick question. Do you have the manual transmission or CVT? Thanks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The manual transmission is no longer available in the 2021 Venue. I have an SEL Premium, bought last month. I cannot comment on the snow but hills yes. I’ve visited one of my nephews a couple of times in the past month. He lives in Anaheim Hills where there are a lot of hills and winding roads. The Venue had no problems at all. Very good handling and braking. A pleasure to drive.

I forgot to mention. Put the car in Sport mode. It helps when tackling hills and winding roads.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Johnny Z!! Took the Venue Sel out for a test drive up and down our country roads, I put it in in Sport mode as you suggested and it was fine!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts