Hyundai Venue Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if the motor fails or something with the power won't close the glass sun roof is there a way that you can physically close it...I presume the motor for it is behind the ceiling material.

·
Registered
211 Posts
If the owner's manual doesn't mention anyway to close to it if the motor fails, there probably isn't a way. It's like with power windows. If the motor fails, you have to take door panel off and replace the motor or the wiring depending on what has failed. If you don't have a motor handy and don't want your car rained in, then you have to loosen the window from the mechanism and manually move it up then wedge it into place. I've rescued a few people with stuck open power windows this way. They couldn't afford 90 bucks or whatever for a new motor/regulator.

I imagine the sunroof would be the same, or just put a tarp over it temporarily until it's fixed. Or tape plastic over it, two layers, to protect the interior until you replace the motor.

Perhaps on a sunroof you could try grabbing it with your hands and pulling it shut, but on most power side Windows that doesn't work so probably won't on a sunroof.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If the owner's manual doesn't mention anyway to close to it if the motor fails, there probably isn't a way. It's like with power windows. If the motor fails, you have to take door panel off and replace the motor or the wiring depending on what has failed. If you don't have a motor handy and don't want your car rained in, then you have to loosen the window from the mechanism and manually move it up then wedge it into place. I've rescued a few people with stuck open power windows this way. They couldn't afford 90 bucks or whatever for a new motor/regulator.

I imagine the sunroof would be the same, or just put a tarp over it temporarily until it's fixed. Or tape plastic over it, two layers, to protect the interior until you replace the motor.

Perhaps on a sunroof you could try grabbing it with your hands and pulling it shut, but on most power side Windows that doesn't work so probably won't on a sunroof.
that's what I thought...at least with the doors the panels should be easy enough to remove but the interior roof panel is probably a different story...my Venue should be arriving any day now, it was at the Port of Vancouver on the 13th and I'm sure it's got a train ride to Ontario and then a truck ride to my dealer...for the sunroof I'll keep it's channels etc. clean and a lite oiling on the channels...my 1999 Camaro SS convertible has a hand control on the mechanism accessed in the trunk that operates the top and if for some reason the motor fails electrically I can manual turn the mechanism to get the top to go either way.

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Venue Preferred
324 Posts
I snipped this from the service manual. There is no discussion about manual closure and nothing listed in the parts list pertaining to it either. I remember the early sunroofs, they all had manual closers. I think because they were more prone to failure in those days.
Font Parallel Technical drawing Auto part Engineering

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I snipped this from the service manual. There is no discussion about manual closure and nothing listed in the parts list pertaining to it either. I remember the early sunroofs, they all had manual closers. I think because they were more prone to failure in those days.
View attachment 1320
thanks, so it appears if anything happens with the motor it might be an easy repair...the service manual you talk about, is it the one you can purchase and the one mechanics have...every car I've had I was able to purchase the service manuals for my cars...for the cars I have now, the ones for my Camaro are 3 separate manuals and the one for my Neon is about 2 inches thick...these manuals not only help to repair or replace things but help bring some light to a problem you may have...if this is the manual you are talking about, where were you able to get it from?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I found the answer to my question while going through the Service Manual that I downloaded...again thanks for where to get the Service Manual...as well they show pictures and diagrams that help.

thank...I just downloaded it.
Operating The Sunroof Emergency Handle
1. Use the sunroof emergency handle to close or open the sunroof manually if the sunroof cannot be closed electronically due to motor
or controller electrical malfunction.
2. If needed, initialize the sunroof according to the initialization method.
Whenever the vehicle battery is disconnected or discharged, or you use the emergency handle to operate the sunroof, you have to
reset your sunroof system as follows :
(1) Turn the ignition key to the ON position and then close the sunroof completely.
(2) Release the sunroof control lever.
(3) Press and hold the CLOSE button for more than 10 seconds until the sunroof closed and it has moved slightly.
(4) Release the sunroof control lever.
(5) Press and hold the CLOSE button once again until the sunroof do as follows
• Tilt up a slide open a slide close.
Then release the lever.
(6) Reset procedure of sunroof system is finished.
- Components

·
Registered
324 Posts
I found the answer to my question while going through the Service Manual that I downloaded...again thanks for where to get the Service Manual...as well they show pictures and diagrams that help.

Operating The Sunroof Emergency Handle
1. Use the sunroof emergency handle to close or open the sunroof manually if the sunroof cannot be closed electronically due to motor
or controller electrical malfunction.
2. If needed, initialize the sunroof according to the initialization method.
Whenever the vehicle battery is disconnected or discharged, or you use the emergency handle to operate the sunroof, you have to
reset your sunroof system as follows :
(1) Turn the ignition key to the ON position and then close the sunroof completely.
(2) Release the sunroof control lever.
(3) Press and hold the CLOSE button for more than 10 seconds until the sunroof closed and it has moved slightly.
(4) Release the sunroof control lever.
(5) Press and hold the CLOSE button once again until the sunroof do as follows
• Tilt up a slide open a slide close.
Then release the lever.
(6) Reset procedure of sunroof system is finished.
- Components
I read that and took the emergency handle to be a service tool. I believe it's a service thing where the headliner and motor has to be removed and the tech uses a handle that chucks in to where the motor connects to close the sunroof or a handle that somehow disconnects the mechanism from the motor..
You would think if there was a means for the driver to manually close the sunroof, it would be detailed in the manual.
Maybe someone with a sunroof can check to see if there is a manual closing handle in the spare tire kit.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I read that and took the emergency handle to be a service tool. I believe it's a service thing where the headliner and motor has to be removed and the tech uses a handle that chucks in to where the motor connects to close the sunroof or a handle that somehow disconnects the mechanism from the motor..
You would think if there was a means for the driver to manually close the sunroof, it would be detailed in the manual.
Maybe someone with a sunroof can check to see if there is a manual closing handle in the spare tire kit.
I was wondering that as well thinking that it may be like the bolt heads that look like a torque driver would fit in to it to close the sunroof.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I was wondering that as well thinking that it may be like the bolt heads that look like a torque driver would fit in to it to close the sunroof.
I believe those are screws that hold the motor in place. Either way, a lot has to be removed to get to them. I don't have the sunroof so can't check. Since there is nothing about it in the owners manual, I don't think it's something the driver can do.

·
Registered
324 Posts
The Tuscon, for instance, comes with a handle in the glove box and there are instructions in the owners manual. It that vehicle you have to remove the dome light assembly to use the handle as the motor is right above it.
So it is possible that the same procedure could work on the Venue...if there is a hex hole for an Allen wrench in the motor assembly. I can't find any real pics of the motor to confirm.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The Tuscon, for instance, comes with a handle in the glove box and there are instructions in the owners manual. It that vehicle you have to remove the dome light assembly to use the handle as the motor is right above it.
So it is possible that the same procedure could work on the Venue...if there is a hex hole for an Allen wrench in the motor assembly. I can't find any real pics of the motor to confirm.
when I get mine I'll check that out and I'd think that Hyundai would use the same equipment type for all their sunroofs on vehicles that are close to the same sunroof type and size and that's what I figure that it would be an Allen Wrench or a torque type tool.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts