Hyundai Venue Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
I was thinking of putting on a hitch for bikes and the occasional utility trailer haul.... Wanted to see if anyone has done it yet?
This is the one that gets brought up most of the time, I think a couple of people have done it on here.

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Venue Preferred
477 Posts
I could be wrong, but I think most of the people that installed hitches on Venue intended to only carry bicycles.
Before proceeding it might be worth asking if the warranty would be impacted since Hyundai says the Venue has no towing capacity.

From page 5-91 of the Canadian owners manual.
"Towing capacity
We do not recommend using this vehicle for trailer towing."

·
Registered
477 Posts
According to the tire placard on my Venue states the total combined weight of passengers and cargo should not exceed 380 kg or 838 pounds.
Font Rectangle Signage Display device Menu

·
Registered
477 Posts
To calc how much cargo you can carry according to the tire placard it's...
in Pounds
838-weight of passengers=available cargo capacity.
In kg
380-weight of passengers=available cargo capacity.
Example:
You have 5 passengers weighing 150 pounds each.
838-750=88 pounds of available cargo capacity.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I could be wrong, but I think most of the people that installed hitches on Venue intended to only carry bicycles. Before proceeding it might be worth asking if the warranty would be impacted since Hyundai says the Venue has no towing capacity. From page 5-91 of the Canadian owners manual. "Towing capacity We do not recommend using this vehicle for trailer towing."
i contacted our dealer about warranty ,and he said its ok as long as it was the correct hitch and installed by professionals

·
Registered
477 Posts
i contacted our dealer about warranty ,and he said its ok as long as it was the correct hitch and installed by professionals
Get it in writing from your dealer, since the manual clearly doesn't recommend towing and it's Hyundai that approves warranty repairs, not your dealer. The only hitches that Hyundai lists are for bikes. I'm not trying to be argumentative just suggesting that you cover your rear if you intend to tow with the IVT.

·
Registered
2022 Venue Essential - 6 Speed Manual - Polar white
65 Posts
I think I posted this before. I had it installed in my Venue by the Local Uhaul (PDF File attached), is a Bolt on Installation, no drilling to the frame required, I have used it to attach a Bike Rack or Cargo Tray. Not for towing.
I have taken my Venue for Service a couple of times, once for warranty work to Refill the AC Unit and once for the Seat Belt tensioner Recall.
You can also have the Dealer install one, they happened to send me an email with such offer today, you might as well ask your local dealer about it since my dealer list it as a 'Trailer Hitch'.

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Automotive parking light

Attachments

·
Registered
284 Posts
I would imagine 400 kg's would be no problem in towing. It's towed weight atop separate wheels -- ie: using mechanical advantage. Heck if you have a small utility trailer with 400 kg's in it, you could easily drag it around using your hands on level surfaces. Of course, as the speed increases these forces go up.

I imagine the "towing is not recommended" is out of an overabundance of caution and to keep Hyundai from being sued. You know how stupid the average person is and how poorly they drive. If they allowed towing per the manual, people would be towing a trailer at 120 kilometers her hour up mountain grades.

When in reality, a sane/intelligent person is only going to use it sparingly and at light speeds -- as in hauling their mower over to their parents' house to mow, or to pick up 200 kg's of mulch from the local Canadian Tire 3 kilometers away.

I wouldn't even tell the dealer I am towing with it. I'd just say it's for a bike rack if they ask. If the Venue can't tow 400 kg's at slower speeds for short distances, it's got bigger problems.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I certainly wouldn't tell the dealer either but can a hitch designed to carry the weight of a couple of bicycles be safely used to tow a trailer? Towing with the manual transmission may be more forgiving than the IVT. The Engine and IVT transmission control units may store codes and other information that could indicate if engine or transmission maximums were exceeded.
If you don't exceed the GVWR of 380kg or 838 pounds of passengers and cargo, it would probably be OK. I guess you take your chances.
Here's an interesting article about towing capacity and what affects it.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I certainly wouldn't tell the dealer either but can a hitch designed to carry the weight of a couple of bicycles be safely used to tow a trailer? Towing with the manual transmission may be more forgiving than the IVT. The Engine and IVT transmission control units may store codes and other information that could indicate if engine or transmission maximums were exceeded.
If you don't exceed the GVWR of 380kg or 838 pounds of passengers and cargo, it would probably be OK. I guess you take your chances.
Here's an interesting article about towing capacity and what affects it.
The hitch if installed correctly should be fine for either. The weight of the bikes is directly on top of the hitch at all times, while the trailer only has the tongue weight atop the hitch with 90% of the weight supported by the trailer's wheels.

Here's a Kona hitch being installed. I order all my hitches from this co. and will get one for my Venue soon. I definitely hear you about the codes of the engine/tranny being stored, and it could come back to haunt you and void the warranty. But I don't know if they would check into that or correlate it with a repair that is needed. But that is a guess on my part.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Hyundai/Kona/2021/C11529.html?VehicleID=202170777

video is down below the pics

·
Registered
477 Posts
I have no intentions of towing and I'm not looking for an argument, just being devil's advocate and doing a little research on the subject. Rather than guessing and hoping, I'd go with the Hyundai recommendation to cover my rear. After all, it's Hyundai, not the dealer, that approves warranty repairs and they will likely look for ways to get out of coverage, especially if there is a catastrophic failure that doesn't appear related to normal wear and tear.
Hyundai doesn't recommend towing with the Kona either.
Ajax Hyundai has a list of which SUV's have towing capability (with towing capacities).

·
Registered
2022 Venue Essential - 6 Speed Manual - Polar white
65 Posts
The manual says not recommended for towing so I would be cautious.

Are trailer hitches removable, or are they welded in? I never had one.
Curt Manufacturing Model is a Bolt On install (No welding) Look at my post from Nov 1. on this thread the installations instructions are there.
However, I don't think you want to remove it until you need to replace it if you need to. For me once installed is there for good.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts