Hyundai Venue Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '21 SEL has 1,900 miles. My usual thinking on a new car is to get the first oil change at about 1,500 miles and get synthetic oil into the engine and get out the break in oil. But a quick google search quotes someone claming that Hyundai puts special break in oil into their cars at the factory, and they want you to leave it in for 5,000 miles.

Is this true? Also, 90 percent of my driving is small town and local roads driving, so I will change my oil at 3K intervals with synthetic and a quality filter.

I plan on keeping it 10 years, and it will probably be at around the 100k miles mark, so I will get the full Hyundai warranty.

·
Registered
238 Posts
My old Pappy always taught me that a new engine should have its oil changed after the first 1000 miles to "get out the shavings." But now that I'm all grown up and studied engineering, I realize that this is a load of crap. At least with modern engines. The maintenance manual doesn't say anything about a break-in oil change.

But still, it couldn't hurt, and it's a cheap insurance policy just in case. I change my oil around every 3000 miles, but that's only because I only drive 3000 miles in a year, and I don't want my oil to get older than one year old in the car.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Changed mine at 2500 for shits and giggles. Dealership sent me a $50 coupon, so I figured why not. Always a good idea with a new engine, and a multi point inspection for the car.
I’ll stay on Hyundai’s schedule from here on out.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I’ll stay on Hyundai’s schedule from here on out.
Yeah, I'm a big believer in following the manufacturer's maintenance schedule, especially for a new car under warranty. No need to give them any reason to welch on their warranty terms.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Me too, and since I have this 3 year service deal, I wanted to get a gauge on the service dept where I bought the car. If you can’t pull off an oil change efficiently, you’re not getting by business for the next 3 years. Hell, I will buy a car off anyone, but to service it is another story. ✌🏼

·
Registered
22 Posts
My '21 SEL has 1,900 miles. My usual thinking on a new car is to get the first oil change at about 1,500 miles and get synthetic oil into the engine and get out the break in oil. But a quick google search quotes someone claming that Hyundai puts special break in oil into their cars at the factory, and they want you to leave it in for 5,000 miles.

Is this true? Also, 90 percent of my driving is small town and local roads driving, so I will change my oil at 3K intervals with synthetic and a quality filter.

I plan on keeping it 10 years, and it will probably be at around the 100k miles mark, so I will get the full Hyundai warranty.
The oil change interval on new cars is too long to my taste, particularly for the first change. I would recommend getting one change at 3K - 5K miles on your own using OEM parts and OEM oil and then the rest through Hyundai on their schedule.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Honestly yall and for anyone reading. I first changed my oil at 1k mi and the stuff came out almost black. I preferred to at least know what was in my engine before driving further and in my mind I'm glad I did.
From my experience with previous older Hyundai engines (theta 2 nightmares) and Toyota 10k mi synthetic oil changes consuming oil at 40k mi, I personally do 4k-5k mi 0w20 full synthetic oil changes with Hyundai's branded oil filter (no aftermarket.)
Most Venues will come with HPP complimentary maintenance which generally includes synthetic blend oil change with tire rotation set 7.5k mi apart. These oils will typically be of a wholesale brand or variety (in some cases potentially conventional) pending the dealership/express tech processes, and generally lose a fair amount of their beneficial properties even halfway through that 7.5k. Coming out of the engine in worse shape compared to a reputable branded full synthetic from the same use. (Ask your service dept what oil they use on your next visit to find out as it can vary from dealer to dealer due to local supply.)
Hyundai does differentiate a "severe" use maintenance schedule that a massive number of American drivers fall under without realizing it, which reduce the 7.5k to 5k. It might be worth reading into your driving conditions that may qualify you for that schedule.
The minor dealership upcharge to full synthetic or even buying your own oil for peace of mind, I personally believe is well worth the investment on your $20k+ investment.
Either way you still have a 10yr100k mi engine warranty that applies to manufacturer defect/premature failure on vehicles maintained by their 7.5k oil change standard.
In the end its up for you to decide what's best for you and your needs.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I scheduled my first oil change for next week. It will have about 2,800 miles on it. I am getting full synthetic oil. I wonder if the service writer will say "um, dude you aren't due until 5k". :)

Oil does 3 things:

1. lubrication
2. cleaning the engine
3. cooling

1 - 8 of 8 Posts