Hyundai Venue Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(Repost) New wheels for my car! Hopefully we can start a compilation of what fits/doesn't fit for our cars!

Enkei Fujin (discontinued; now known as Enkei GT7)
17x7.5 +50 5x114.3

67.1mm (Hyundai OEM bore size) to 72.6mm (Enkei bore size) aluminum hubcentric rings used.
Weighs 17.5 lbs per wheel. Better MPG & accelerating response due to decrease in unsprung weight.

Wrapped in Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ 225/50R17.
Notes: Wheel width and offset, I wouldn’t recommend going any larger than an 8” width on a +50 offset. It will definitely rub the stock strut/spring perch. Lower offset needed to accommodate larger wheel widths.

·
Registered
137 Posts
If I was getting wheels for my venue, these would be high on my list...

·
Registered
2020 SE, 6 Speed Manual
70 Posts
(Repost) New wheels for my car! Hopefully we can start a compilation of what fits/doesn't fit for our cars!

Enkei Fujin (discontinued; now known as Enkei GT7)
17x7.5 +50 5x114.3

67.1mm (Hyundai OEM bore size) to 72.6mm (Enkei bore size) aluminum hubcentric rings used.
Weighs 17.5 lbs per wheel. Better MPG & accelerating response due to decrease in unsprung weight.

Wrapped in Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ 225/50R17.
Notes: Wheel width and offset, I wouldn’t recommend going any larger than an 8” width on a +50 offset. It will definitely rub the stock strut/spring perch. Lower offset needed to accommodate larger wheel widths. View attachment 524 View attachment 525
Looks nice.
Did you tint your rear windows?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Dang...way to screw up a good wheel pattern on the denim.
Different strokes I suppose.
Grade F

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have gave thought to painting the machined top surface of the wheels white, and if this was done to those black wheels, it would look hot.
Solid black…not so much ☹

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have gave thought to painting the machined top surface of the wheels white, and if this was done to those black wheels, it would look hot.
Solid black…not so much ☹
I say definitely do it if you like the OEM look! Making it white, then getting it ceramic coated, will make it look a lot cleaner with lower maintenance.

·
Registered
2020 SE, 6 Speed Manual
70 Posts
I'm looking to put some new wheels on my SE w/ tiny 15 inch wheels. I'm debating what size to target for my overall diameter, including the tire.

We all know that increasing the amount of wheel and decreasing the amount of tire gives cars a more "balanced" (maybe even aggressive) look.
But the Venues w/ 17 inch wheels not only have larger wheels, but also a larger overall diameter, which noticeably takes up more space in the wheel well and fills it out better:

SE w/ 185/65R15 (24.5 inch total diameter)

Denim w/ 205/55R17 (25.9 inch total diameter):

To me, the difference in the amount of empty wheel well space is significant and noticeable.

So the question I have is: What about the accuracy of the speedometer & odometer?
  • Does Hyundai somehow calibrate the speedometer differently depending on which size wheels are on the car?
  • Is it possible to recalibrate the speedometer?
I've read things in other forums in which people say that in cases like this, the manufacturer will calibrate it somewhere in between, so that it's always within 1-2 mph no matter what wheels are on the car. But I've checked my speedometer vs a GPS (not 100% scientific, I know) and it seems pretty spot-on.

Another possibility I've thought of is that the speedometer reading is driven by the car's built-in GPS. I've had the speedometer unit out, and the connections in the back are 100% electronic. There is no mechanical speedometer cable. So I guess in theory it's possible, although I'm not sure how likely this is.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's more likely they just middle estimate it to save themselves the hassle. At the end of the day, the goal is to lower cost and make it a more affordable car.

For reference I've attached the comparison between the two OEM wheel specs. Existing (15") and New (17").

In addition, going to a larger wheel size with lower tire profile makes the ride a bit rougher. But, it provides better feedback/feel of the road. So that's also something to consider.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Damn that denim looks tight!lol
Hyundai got the wheel right with the 17”, but missed with the tire.
205 55 17 was used to keep price down, but IMO the correct tire size is 225 50 17 which is the same diameter as stock. No Speedo change, and a wider tire with the same profile height. Best of both worlds really, and a no brainer replacement on stock 17x6.5 rims.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Damn that denim looks tight!lol
Hyundai got the wheel right with the 17”, but missed with the tire.
205 55 17 was used to keep price down, but IMO the correct tire size is 225 50 17 which is the same diameter as stock. No Speedo change, and a wider tire with the same profile height. Best of both worlds really, and a no brainer replacement on stock 17x6.5 rims.
225 on a 6.5" is a bit too wide (also depending on brand). 215 is the ideal safe upper limit for how wide you of a tire you can mount on a 6.5.

·
Registered
2020 SE, 6 Speed Manual
70 Posts
It's more likely they just middle estimate it to save themselves the hassle. At the end of the day, the goal is to lower cost and make it a more affordable car.

For reference I've attached the comparison between the two OEM wheel specs. Existing (15") and New (17").
View attachment 611

In addition, going to a larger wheel size with lower tire profile makes the ride a bit rougher. But, it provides better feedback/feel of the road. So that's also something to consider.
Yeah, I totally understand what you're saying. It was my first thought too - They want to keep the number of parts to a minimum, and having two different speedometer calibrations goes against that.

But then when I tested mine it seemed to be (as Marisa Tomei would say) "dead-on balls accurate", which is what made me wonder if maybe there is a different setup depending on the which wheels it was sold with.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts