Hyundai Venue Forum banner

Wheel Directory

19K views 73 replies 7 participants last post by  ralph_venue 
(Repost) New wheels for my car! Hopefully we can start a compilation of what fits/doesn't fit for our cars!

Enkei Fujin (discontinued; now known as Enkei GT7)
17x7.5 +50 5x114.3

67.1mm (Hyundai OEM bore size) to 72.6mm (Enkei bore size) aluminum hubcentric rings used.
Weighs 17.5 lbs per wheel. Better MPG & accelerating response due to decrease in unsprung weight.

Wrapped in Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ 225/50R17.
Notes: Wheel width and offset, I wouldn’t recommend going any larger than an 8” width on a +50 offset. It will definitely rub the stock strut/spring perch. Lower offset needed to accommodate larger wheel widths. View attachment 524 View attachment 525
Looks nice.
Did you tint your rear windows?

I'm looking to put some new wheels on my SE w/ tiny 15 inch wheels. I'm debating what size to target for my overall diameter, including the tire.

We all know that increasing the amount of wheel and decreasing the amount of tire gives cars a more "balanced" (maybe even aggressive) look.
But the Venues w/ 17 inch wheels not only have larger wheels, but also a larger overall diameter, which noticeably takes up more space in the wheel well and fills it out better:

SE w/ 185/65R15 (24.5 inch total diameter)

Denim w/ 205/55R17 (25.9 inch total diameter):

To me, the difference in the amount of empty wheel well space is significant and noticeable.

So the question I have is: What about the accuracy of the speedometer & odometer?
  • Does Hyundai somehow calibrate the speedometer differently depending on which size wheels are on the car?
  • Is it possible to recalibrate the speedometer?
I've read things in other forums in which people say that in cases like this, the manufacturer will calibrate it somewhere in between, so that it's always within 1-2 mph no matter what wheels are on the car. But I've checked my speedometer vs a GPS (not 100% scientific, I know) and it seems pretty spot-on.

Another possibility I've thought of is that the speedometer reading is driven by the car's built-in GPS. I've had the speedometer unit out, and the connections in the back are 100% electronic. There is no mechanical speedometer cable. So I guess in theory it's possible, although I'm not sure how likely this is.

Any thoughts?

It's more likely they just middle estimate it to save themselves the hassle. At the end of the day, the goal is to lower cost and make it a more affordable car.

For reference I've attached the comparison between the two OEM wheel specs. Existing (15") and New (17").
View attachment 611

In addition, going to a larger wheel size with lower tire profile makes the ride a bit rougher. But, it provides better feedback/feel of the road. So that's also something to consider.
Yeah, I totally understand what you're saying. It was my first thought too - They want to keep the number of parts to a minimum, and having two different speedometer calibrations goes against that.

But then when I tested mine it seemed to be (as Marisa Tomei would say) "dead-on balls accurate", which is what made me wonder if maybe there is a different setup depending on the which wheels it was sold with.

It's more likely they just middle estimate it to save themselves the hassle. At the end of the day, the goal is to lower cost and make it a more affordable car.

For reference I've attached the comparison between the two OEM wheel specs. Existing (15") and New (17").
View attachment 611

I've been looking into this a bit, because I'm debating whether or not to bother switching from 15 to 17 inch wheels. I really would only do it if I could increase the overall diameter, like in my previous photos in this thread. But having my speedometer/odometer/gas mileage off by >5% would bug me.

General consensus is on the internet is as mochi said: Car manufacturers want to keep costs down, so when there are multiple tire diameters, they just calibrate it in the middle and it's within a reasonable margin of error. But I couldn't shake the feeling that with every GPS I tried, my speedometer was dead-on accurate....Even when going 80mph. I looked around at various parts sites, and it looks like there are multiple variations of ECM units for the Venue, and one of the variables is the size of the wheels.

Could this be where the adjustment for tire diameter comes from?

3 tire size selections with a 17” rim.
205/55/17 (stock w/6.5” rim width)
225/50/17 (maintains stock diameter and will except 6-8” rims)
215/55/17 (increase overall diameter 1.5% and would not effect speedo enough to matter. Rim size 6-8”.)

You would have some interesting selections with the 15” rim, and it would produce a chubby, more off-road appearance with the Venue.
17s are the tits in my book.

Unfortunately, 215/55/17 would be over 7% larger than the OEM 15 inch size.

Ouch!
Didn’t know the 15s were off that much in diameter vs the stock 17.
Well the room is there for bigger, that’s for sure. I would think the dealership could reflash the Speedo. It’s easily done with handheld tuners I have used in the past.
Yeah, it's a big difference between the two. That's one of the reasons why I couldn't shake the feeling that there has to be a different calibration between the two. And while most of the time larger wheels look better due to the increased wheel to sidewall ratio, I think in the Venue's case a lot of it comes from the larger overall diameter.

I posted some photos earlier in this thread:

24.5 is too small for sure.
Stock is about right at 26.
1.5 inch of diameter makes a huge difference visually.
Agree 100%. That's why I'm debating whether to swap wheels at all. Options are:

1. Bigger wheels, keeping OEM diameter with too much empty space in the wheel well.
  2. Bigger wheels and larger overall diameter, and having my gagues off by ~5%.
  3. Bigger wheels and larger overall diameter, and somehow getting the speedometer recalibrated.
Option 3 would be the best, obviously, but I doubt the dealer would make that adjustment for me.

Wouldn't it be nice if the car could auto-calibrate itself using its own GPS? Would be great to just get whatever wheels and tires you wanted, and not have to worry about it.

I have done it myself with handheld tuners in the past. Its just a matter of setting the revolutions per mile. The dealership should be able to change this with their diagnostic equipment.
I know it can be done on some vehicles. Just wasn't sure if it was possible on Hyundai or not.

I also found this device, which seems like a great idea. It takes the signal going from the wheel sensors to the ECM and modifies it according to whatever ratio you set via dip switches. Just 4 wires: power, ground, signal in, and signal out.

Seems so simple that it would almost have to work. But I've said that before and been wrong. 😉

I have done it myself with handheld tuners in the past. Its just a matter of setting the revolutions per mile. The dealership should be able to change this with their diagnostic equipment.
Just stopped by the dealership today. The tech I talked to claimed that they cannot change the speedo ratio by law. Not sure if they technically have the ability or not, but he said that they send jobs like that to a certified speedo calibration facility. 😒

Things sure are easier in the mustang universe. I have a handheld programmer and can reflash the ecu with any tune the shop emails me. In the setup you can set the revolutions per mile to set the speedo. In the Hyundai world…not so much.
I did some research and have found no way to recalibrate the speedo with Hyundai’s.
In your case it’s the classic function or fashion choice. I would always choose fashion and live with the speedo error. Nothing would compromise cool in my car universe! 😉
I know myself.
Having my speedometer, odometer, and gas mileage calculations off by a significant amount would bug me considerably.

I have one of these on order, set to be delivered Wednesday. We'll see if I can adjust the signal into the ECM.

Update on my tests with the Dakota Digital device...It kind of worked, but not really.

Short story: I installed the device on the vehicle speed sensor wire going to the ECU. I set the ratio up as high as it would go, which was output signal was 4x the input. Started driving slowly down my street, and unfortunately the speedometer was unchanged. However, the ECU definitely changed, because going ~10 mph in 1st gear the instrument cluster was telling me to shift into 5th or 6th. Also, the power steering was much tighter making it more difficult to turn the wheel, because the car thought I was going at highway speeds.

Long Story: I had purchased a 1 month subscription to the Hyundai Tech Info site so I could look at the wiring diagrams to install this.
Based on the schematic diagram, the speed data starts at the 4 wheel sensors and goes directly to the Electronic Stability Control (ESC) which I guess is Hyundai's term for anti-lock brakes.
From the ESC, the speed signal of the front right wheel is output to the ECU and IBU. This is the signal that I tapped into.

However, the speed data that goes to the instrument panel doesn't come from this output. It comes from the ESC over the vehicle's CAN bus.
This is confirmed in the write-up of the system.

Now I'm no expert on these things, but from what I understand CAN bus is not just a simple signal that can be intercepted and changed. It's actually a data network with packets that flow to and from all the systems in your car. So unfortunately, not something that can be easily changed. 😢

One other thing: In the service manual there is a section on replacing the instrument cluster that says it needed to be coded so that it knows what options the car has. It makes me wonder, even if it's not possible to specify a specific wheel size or speed offset, does it maybe give you the ability to choose between the two OEM wheel sizes?

Unfortunately, this section is kind of sparse. And I'm sure the tools to do this probably cost thousands of $$.