Hyundai Venue Forum banner
41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Chicago Ralph 2020™
245 Posts
Just stopped by the dealership today. The tech I talked to claimed that they cannot change the speedo ratio by law. Not sure if they technically have the ability or not, but he said that they send jobs like that to a certified speedo calibration facility. 😒
Gonna have to bootleg it (aftermarket)

Also, anybody have experiences with wheel stickers? Worth? Unworth?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Just stopped by the dealership today. The tech I talked to claimed that they cannot change the speedo ratio by law. Not sure if they technically have the ability or not, but he said that they send jobs like that to a certified speedo calibration facility. 😒
Things sure are easier in the mustang universe. I have a handheld programmer and can reflash the ecu with any tune the shop emails me. In the setup you can set the revolutions per mile to set the speedo. In the Hyundai world…not so much.
I did some research and have found no way to recalibrate the speedo with Hyundai’s.
In your case it’s the classic function or fashion choice. I would always choose fashion and live with the speedo error. Nothing would compromise cool in my car universe! 😉

·
Registered
137 Posts
Gonna have to bootleg it (aftermarket)

Also, anybody have experiences with wheel stickers? Worth? Unworth?
Just get some high quality white vinyl and do those flat, machined spokes. Trim with a razor blade. I know it would look sweet Ralph. unfortunately I’m too lazy to do it, so it’s up to you pal.🤣
It will be next level in motion!

·
Registered
2020 SE, 6 Speed Manual
70 Posts
Things sure are easier in the mustang universe. I have a handheld programmer and can reflash the ecu with any tune the shop emails me. In the setup you can set the revolutions per mile to set the speedo. In the Hyundai world…not so much.
I did some research and have found no way to recalibrate the speedo with Hyundai’s.
In your case it’s the classic function or fashion choice. I would always choose fashion and live with the speedo error. Nothing would compromise cool in my car universe! 😉
I know myself.
Having my speedometer, odometer, and gas mileage calculations off by a significant amount would bug me considerably.

I have one of these on order, set to be delivered Wednesday. We'll see if I can adjust the signal into the ECM.

·
Registered
2020 SE, 6 Speed Manual
70 Posts
Update on my tests with the Dakota Digital device...It kind of worked, but not really.

Short story: I installed the device on the vehicle speed sensor wire going to the ECU. I set the ratio up as high as it would go, which was output signal was 4x the input. Started driving slowly down my street, and unfortunately the speedometer was unchanged. However, the ECU definitely changed, because going ~10 mph in 1st gear the instrument cluster was telling me to shift into 5th or 6th. Also, the power steering was much tighter making it more difficult to turn the wheel, because the car thought I was going at highway speeds.

Long Story: I had purchased a 1 month subscription to the Hyundai Tech Info site so I could look at the wiring diagrams to install this.
Based on the schematic diagram, the speed data starts at the 4 wheel sensors and goes directly to the Electronic Stability Control (ESC) which I guess is Hyundai's term for anti-lock brakes.
From the ESC, the speed signal of the front right wheel is output to the ECU and IBU. This is the signal that I tapped into.

However, the speed data that goes to the instrument panel doesn't come from this output. It comes from the ESC over the vehicle's CAN bus.
This is confirmed in the write-up of the system.

Now I'm no expert on these things, but from what I understand CAN bus is not just a simple signal that can be intercepted and changed. It's actually a data network with packets that flow to and from all the systems in your car. So unfortunately, not something that can be easily changed. 😢

·
Registered
2020 SE, 6 Speed Manual
70 Posts
One other thing: In the service manual there is a section on replacing the instrument cluster that says it needed to be coded so that it knows what options the car has. It makes me wonder, even if it's not possible to specify a specific wheel size or speed offset, does it maybe give you the ability to choose between the two OEM wheel sizes?

Unfortunately, this section is kind of sparse. And I'm sure the tools to do this probably cost thousands of $$.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Not a bad pattern Ralph, but they still look oem. These do not👇🏼 and I have always wanted to do white wheels and think I have the car that can pull them off. So do you btw, and red is also available…can you say “limited edition”? Perfect size too ✌🏼Match them with 225/50/17 FTW!

·
Super Moderator
Chicago Ralph 2020™
245 Posts
The only wheel I would pick is white.
However, I have only washed my car once ever since I owned it.
White wheels would probably be the death of me.

#RIP

·
Registered
137 Posts
I’m really liking that recluse and a couple of white wheels has me thinkin, could a demin pull those off 🤔
Wheel Automotive tire Product Tread Tire Wheel Tire Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread Product Automotive tire Alloy wheel Rim Font Wheel Watch Automotive tire Product Tire

·
Registered
137 Posts
Yea I worry about the maintenance of white, but the trade off could be epic with this white konig. Final 4 time…which one would you guys choose???

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Hubcap Alloy wheel Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hubcap Alloy wheel Tire Wheel Land vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Wheel Automotive tire Hubcap Alloy wheel Tread

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Yea I worry about the maintenance of white, but the trade off could be epic with this white konig. Final 4 time…which one would you guys choose???

View attachment 799 View attachment 800 View attachment 801 View attachment 802
2 or 4 is my pick. My gripe with #2 is the way they use to secure the cap for this particular model. You'll need a hex tool to undo the center cap (I know from previous experiences), which can get cross threaded if not careful.

How about this guy? This was my second choice to the BBS I posted, but it wasn't available at the time I was searching.

Enkei XM-6
17x7.5405x114.3

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have read a complaint or two on the center cap on the hypergram, so it must be a thing. I don’t really see me messing with it unless it gets loose or something because of its design. Did you have this problem Mochi? I like the pattern you were going with, just not the +40.
Old habits die hard and I love a polished lip man, and that wheel would bring what little black we have on the venue down to balance its presence on the pilars. I’m thinking its down to 2 and 3 actually. The momo is one of those wheels you love to look at, but I feel it might look a bit bulky on the little guy. It has ALOT of spokes going on. That directional Enkei really has my eye and keeps with the oem wheels “moving” looks, and I’m sure in motion the enks would produce a similar effect. The white konig is the wildcard. While it’s not my ideal spoke pattern, I have this little voice in my head saying it could be a real head turner (that little voice is always a heaven or hell proposition, so it’s seems appropriate with a white wheel). Guess it will depend on which guy is sitting on my shoulder when I throw the money down.🤣
Thank you for your input bro! 👍🏼

41 - 60 of 61 Posts