Hyundai Venue Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, everyone. So I bought a 2021 Venue SE.

Since the day I bought it. It only comes with wireless Apple CarPlay, and the wireless Apple CarPlay often disconnect saying the phone is not responding, I have to click the screen repeatedly to get the CarPlay back. Which is a safety issue.

Then I asked the dealership, they said I am the only customer with this complaint, so there isn’t anything they can do and told me to wait for system updates that might be able to fix it.

Does anyone have the same issue I am having? Or does anyone have any suggestions to help me solve this issue?

·
Registered
16 Posts

Since the day I bought it. It only comes with wireless Apple CarPlay, and the wireless Apple CarPlay often disconnect saying the phone is not responding, I have to click the screen repeatedly to get the CarPlay back. Which is a safety issue.

Then I asked the dealership, they said I am the only customer with this complaint, so there isn’t anything they can do and told me to wait for system updates that might be able to fix it.

Does anyone have the same issue I am having? Or does anyone have any suggestions to help me solve this issue?
you know, I had the same problem when I drove 125 miles from my home to Orlando last week to pickup my wife at the airport. I had it disconnect about 10 times. That was the first time I used my iPhone to navigate through the car display. I had actually forgotten about this problem until I read you post. I'll try to get it in to the dealer Tuesday to get it checked out and let you know that they tell me about it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've had the same problem, off and on. Most days it works fine. Then some days it will decide to disconnect multiple times in the same day. The strange thing is...it will connect and play music from my phone...then it will randomly tell me that the "phone is not responding" but it will continue to play my playist for the entire commute. So it's obviously communicating with my phone (maybe just straight bluetooth and not apple carplay?). It's very frustrating.
I've also had problems when the system connects to my wife's phone, and I try to switch the connection to my phone and it can't connect even though I'm sitting right there in the driver's seat with my phone. I don't know if that's a separate problem, or if it's connected to the phone not responding problem.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've had the same problem, off and on. Most days it works fine. Then some days it will decide to disconnect multiple times in the same day. The strange thing is...it will connect and play music from my phone...then it will randomly tell me that the "phone is not responding" but it will continue to play my playist for the entire commute. So it's obviously communicating with my phone (maybe just straight bluetooth and not apple carplay?). It's very frustrating.
I've also had problems when the system connects to my wife's phone, and I try to switch the connection to my phone and it can't connect even though I'm sitting right there in the driver's seat with my phone. I don't know if that's a separate problem, or if it's connected to the phone not responding problem.
that is what is happening with me exactly. I was trying to go to the dealer today but did not make it. I will try this week hopefully tomorrow but I suspect I will get the same answer as Xdarkingg

·
Registered
22 Posts
Could it be the quality of the lightning cable used to connect the iPhone to the car? Mine didn't do this, but I used an original Apple-brand USB cable. I would try using an Apple cable and see if it continues to act up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Could it be the quality of the lightning cable used to connect the iPhone to the car? Mine didn't do this, but I used an original Apple-brand USB cable. I would try using an Apple cable and see if it continues to act up.
I'm not using a cable, I'm using wireless apple car play and I am still having this intermittent problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Connect with a USB cable it is much more reliable and stable, plus it charges your phone (slowly).
I understand that, but that's not really the point, and I don't want to use a cable all the time and I shouldn't have to. Hyundai advertises "Wireless Apple Carplay and Android Auto" so if they offer this feature then it should work. There is a fault somewhere and I'm pretty sure it's in the infotainment system and not in my phone, because it happens with multiple phones in my household AND it's happening with multiple individuals online.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The reasons that a Bluetooth connection can drop are multitudinous. And, the bandwidth through Carplay over BT is higher than Bluetooth is really designed for, so it will be susceptible to drops when you pass through areas with a lot of RF interference. If it is a problem I recommend connecting a cable. I am even surprised that Carplay via BT is supported for this reason.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So I did a bit of research on Wireless Apple Carplay and Android Auto, and how it works is that Bluetooth is used to initiate the connection and to stream music and album art. WiFi is them immediately established (with the infotainment system being the WiFi access point) for all other features such as Maps, Apps, etc. So if the WiFi connection drops, but the bluetooth connection does not drop, this would explain why I'm getting a "phone disconnected" error even though my playlist is still playing on the infotainment system. So my guess is that the WiFi connection is what is causing the issue in this case. I don't know if that helps narrow down the issue, I'm no expert by any means.

·
Registered
22 Posts
That is very interesting -- I didn't think the car would create a WiFi connection and I didn't know that my cell phone could selectively use WiFi in this way! That being said, the wavelengths used for WiFi are highly saturated, so as you drive through areas with a lot of access points, you can expect RF frequency interference that could cause the signal to drop. The hardwire connection obviously doesn't suffer this limitation.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey, everyone. This is a follow up.
The service department told me either I wait for an system update or replace the system. Which will be a bit expansive
Then I tried with my friend’s iPhone 12, and then the problem of phone is disconnecting seems to be solved.

I will keep writing if anything changes.
Thank you

·
Registered
1 Posts

I am having the same exact issue wi to my 2021 venue. At the car dealership RIGHT NOW and everyone is saying I’m the first with this problem. So frustrating!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi everyone, I bought a 2021 Venue Essential the other day, and also noticed my phone randomly ‘disconnecting’. It seems to sort itself out, but it is a bit annoying.
I’m also confused-initially I connected my phone via Bluetooth, then it seemed to figure out the Apple stuff on its own. Now when I’m connected to Apple CarPlay (which it seems to do automatically), I check my phone’s Bluetooth settings and it says I’m not disconnected to the Venue there (but on the Venue’s wifi, yes). Is this normal? Similar to the post above. Wondering if this is causing the wonky disconnect issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I recommend anyone with the same issue I have to try connect Apple CarPlay with iPhone 12, because trying out with my friends’ newer iPhone solved the phone is disconnected problem for me. Again I’ll be keep updating if I find another possible solution. And I will be happy if I can hear back about if this method helped you

·
Registered
2 Posts

I work at as a Hyundai Tech.
Hyundai is aware of the issue but is blaming it on apple. They’re waiting to decide who’s software is at fault (my suspicion is Hyundai)

·
Registered
238 Posts
I work at as a Hyundai Tech.
Hyundai is aware of the issue but is blaming it on apple. They’re waiting to decide who’s software is at fault (my suspicion is Hyundai)
Making software from multiple suppliers work together seamlessly is always problematic. It's even worse if there is a wireless component. There doesn't have to be anyone "at fault" for it not to work properly.

Oh, and I'm jealous too, because my 2020 model doesn't even have wireless capability to start with!

·
Registered
1 Posts

I have the same problem. Do you solve it ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same problem. Do you solve it ?
I’ve bought a 2021 Venue and have a similar issue. My Waze would stop giving directions. The dealership couldn’t help. They say it’s a car play issue. After much googling I deleted my Spotify, download maps from google maps and it seems to be ok. The biggest issue was, when I couldn’t get directions from CarPlay it somehow interrupted me from getting directions from my phone.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts